Encouraging people to buy eggs from humanely-raised chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Windy Ridge, Jan 8, 2008.

1. Windy Ridge

Windy Ridge Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    Appalachia
    Of course, if people are buying from me, they're buying eggs from TRUE free-range, pasture raised hens. We won't always have extra eggs to sell, though, so I want to encourage people to buy eggs from humanely-raised hens at the grocery store, too... as well as to buy eggs packed in products that can be recycled.

Here's what I've come up with:

All prices are per half-dozen

Pullet eggs (may vary in size):
    $1 flat. No adjustments.

Chicken eggs (larger and more uniform size):
    $1.50

Use your own egg container
    Free-range or cage-free container: -$0.25 per half dozen chicken eggs -----$1.25
    Free-range/cage-free plus organic: -$0.50 per half dozen chicken eggs -----$1.00
    Pasture raised: -$0.50 per half dozen chicken eggs --------------------------------$1.00
    Styrofoam container: +$0.50 per half dozen chicken eggs -----------------------$2.00
    (In other words, don't buy styrofoam.)

Eggs may not be available at all times; place your order and we'll put you on our list.

Opinions?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Looks good but the + anything for Styrofoam may be pushing it. Might want to leave that one out even if you are against styrofoam. Just mention it casually how paper is better.

3. ORChick

ORChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2007
    Oregon
    I'm not sure I understand, where are you thinking of putting this list? And I agree about the styrofoam - there's a good chance of antagonizing people with that, and also, IMO, anyone who's even looking at free range/cage free/organic eggs probably already feels the same way about styrofoam as you.

4. Windy Ridge

Oct 3, 2007
    Appalachia
    Well, thanks for your input. My object is not to sell the most eggs that I possibly can; my object is simply to encourage people to think about some of the issues... and to give them a reward for right choices. I already have more demand than supply. If I was concerned about making money, I'd raise my prices.

I can't even imagine why anyone would be "antagonized" by the styrofoam pricing. They don't have to buy my eggs; if they choose to anyway, they can simply use the containers I provide rather than providing their own to avoid the surcharge. Seems simple. But they may think: "Durnit, I could have saved a quarter if I had a carton with a free-range label on it!" That's what I'm aiming for.

If they like the taste of real, farm eggs, maybe the next time they go to buy eggs in a grocery store, they'll make a decision to buy eggs in plastic or paper cartons. Or maybe they'll buy free-range eggs. Maybe they won't. In that case, they'll be paying a little more to support a pasture-fed, REAL free range operation when they purchase from me.

Obviously, free range commercial hens still have a crowded, warehouse-like environment, but I think it's important to encourage people to buy products that support humane practices--at least as humane as the choices they're presented with allow. If producers understand that people are willing to pay a premium for humane treatment in the production process, hopefully it will be easier for the government to finally come around and support humane production, too.

5. BlueMoon

BlueMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    Scenic Verbank, NY
    A NorthEast supermarket chain, Hannafords, sells their organicall fed, naturally raised, cage free eggs for $4.59/dozen, $2.99 for a half. Check out the markets before setting your prices.

No styrofoam please! Good for you!

6. dbjay417

dbjay417 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2007
    just dont offer styrofoam cartons at all. Try to find a resource for the cardboard ones. I still see them occasionally at the supermarket.

7. Windy Ridge

Oct 3, 2007
    Appalachia
    I don't offer styrofoam. [​IMG]

8. LindaN

LindaN Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2007
    Chicago
    I don't sell eggs at all, but I scrounge around from friends and family for egg cartons for storage (and so I can return them full of eggs to these folks!).

I do have some styrofoam containers I got from my mom that I'm using now. I'm not sure where she got them...probably from another person she occasionally gets eggs from.

I prefer cardboard, too. But, I also think it's important that these styrofoam containers are being reused and not added to a landfill or adding toxic chems to the air through incineration.

Your values are your values, of course. Mine include all 3 Rs (Reduce, Reuse, Recycle), as well as sharing your bias towards humanely raised chicken products.

9. hooligan

hooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    I haven't gotten an egg all winter so if Lucas wants eggs (I'm allergic to them) we always buy the organic free range ones.
    I applaud your efforts for trying to get ppl to buy TRUE free range [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by