end of day 20 silkie eggs no chirping or piping ?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jjtrucker, Jan 10, 2015.

1. jjtrucker

jjtrucker Out Of The Brooder

Dec 23, 2014
    I have silkie eggs that are at the end of day 20. I don't hear any chirping and none of them are piping. When I candled at day 18 I was not 100% sure they were still viable but they don't smell so I locked them down. I want to candle them so bad to see what is going on in there. Should I candle them or just leave them be? Shouldn't they be piping by now since they're going into day 21? My temp has not stayed constant 100% of the time. I found at night it would drop to around 96-98 and I would have to keep getting up to adjust it and a couple times it got too hot 101-104 but not for very long.

2. BonRae67

BonRae67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2014
    Florida
    I would give them a few more days. Maybe because of the temp difference they are a little delayed. Good luck.

3. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    I've heard of eggs hatching up til day 25, especially in winter, and I've known some people's who have gone to day 23. I had a few I was hatching go to day 22. (shipped eggs)

4. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    When you are counting your days are you starting your count 24 hours after you set them? You don't count the day you put them in. If they were dropping at night there is a chance this would delay the hatch slightly. Are you using a forced air or a still air bator? At this point you should leave them alone. Make sure that your vents/plugs are open and your humidity is up. 21 days is just an average even with steady temps and perfect humidity.

NW Chickadee likes this.
  5. jjtrucker

Dec 23, 2014
    No I didn't count the day they were put in. I am using a forced air incubator.

6. BonRae67

Dec 23, 2014
    Florida
    Anything happening with the silkie eggs? Was just checking.

7. jjtrucker

Dec 23, 2014
    At 1:30 am day 21 I had one pip and hatch later that day around 11:45 am. Today is day 22 and none of the other 5 eggs are piping but I candled them and can see lots of movement, big air cells, hear chirping, and even a few clicking noises every now and then like they may be trying to pip. It is the end of day 22 and so far none have piped yet but I'm hoping late tonight or tomorrow they will. I know they are alive in there at least just not ready yet. My one that had already hatched is doing great but is super lonely and keeps peeping loudly until you pick it up and hold it. [​IMG]

8. BonRae67

Dec 23, 2014
    Florida
    How beautiful. Congratulations!

9. jjtrucker

Dec 23, 2014
    Ok update I just found two that were piping but they are piping on the bottom side of the egg that is laying on the paper towel and they are piping below the air cell. Is this ok? Should I just let them be? I did turn the eggs over so the pip is up and not down.[​IMG]

10. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Congrats on the hatcher! Ya, those two buggers are malepositioned.. As long as they have pipped through the membrane and are getting air, the best thing to do is give them time, but keep an eye on them because they may need to be assisted at some point. (Just don't rush it. Lots of malepositioned chicks do make it out all by themselves.)
    Have you read the hatching 101 page yet? Near the bottom it has a good section on malepositioned chicks and on assisted hatching if it comes down to that. You can find it here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101
    Hopefully they'll get themselves out and you won't have to stress over helping. Use your best judgment after reading up on it and do only what you are comfortable doing!
    I'll cross my fingers that everything goes good! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by