End of Day 21 Need Help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by j.luetkemeyer, Jan 7, 2009.

1. j.luetkemeyer

j.luetkemeyer Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2008
    Mid-Missouri
    I just ended day 21 and not much happening. My two year old opened the incubator yesterday morning. The humidity has dropped today from 65% to 45% and I know you are not suppose to open the incubator but should I quickly open it to get some more water in there to increase the humidity? On day 14 I had candled the eggs and 11 out of 16 were developing. The temperature was maintained from 99.5 to 100.5.

2. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

You definitely need to get the humidity back up to at least 60%. Don't give up on them...there's still plenty of time for them to hatch. You should always give your eggs until day 23 to hatch...they may just be "late bloomers"! Good luck!

3. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Do you have a still air bator or one with a fan ??

I would add a wet sponge (very quickly) to get the hum back up !!

4. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Yes, get a wet sponge in there right away!!!

5. j.luetkemeyer

Dec 11, 2008
    Mid-Missouri
    Thanks for the advice. I got a wet sponge in there and put some more water in the 1 ring that was dry. I have a still air incubator. I'm thinking my thermometer might be reading a degree high so it is probably a degree cooler. I had four different thermometers and they were all within a half degree so I felt safe at 99.5 to 100.5.

6. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    That is a little low for a still air, so the hatch may be delayed

7. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    j.luetkemeyer :

Thanks for the advice. I got a wet sponge in there and put some more water in the 1 ring that was dry. I have a still air incubator. I'm thinking my thermometer might be reading a degree high so it is probably a degree cooler. I had four different thermometers and they were all within a half degree so I felt safe at 99.5 to 100.5.

temp shoud be 100-102 (dont mess with it now)

Give them a few extra days since your temp was a tad bit low !!​

8. j.luetkemeyer

Dec 11, 2008
    Mid-Missouri
    Thanks for the help. I'll keep everyone updated.

9. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    At what level were the thermometers? In a still air, I believe the temp should 102 degrees if the thermometer is at the same level at the top og the eggs. If the thermometer positioned lower, the temp should read lower.

10. j.luetkemeyer

Dec 11, 2008
    Mid-Missouri
    I used two thermometers. I had the thermometer that came with the egg turner setting on the eggs and I have a digital one sitting at mid-egg level. The one on the eggs read 101 most of the time give or take 1/2 degree. The digital read between 99.5 and 100.5. I also read on some other threads that some begin their count the day after they begin incubating when they incubate eggs received by mail. Is this something that should be done?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by