Endearing behaviours

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mum, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Mum

Mum Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2011
    UK
    The first time my cream legbar laid, she spent a good hour maybe hour and a half, in a bit of a tizz going from one end of the run to the other, in and out of different nest boxes, throwing straw over her back - it was like she had ants in her pants! I knew she was going to lay and she did.

My buff orpington has also come into lay - no straw throwing unless she is in the nest.

The past couple of days, my light sussex has begun tossing straw over her back, but her comb isn't as deep red as the other two, so I'm thinking she is not quite ready, just practicing? Even funnier was when my Maran put straw on the LS back for her! [​IMG] My buff sussex on the other hand, isn't doing anything remotely "eggy" and yet I'm sure she would come into lay before the light sussex; however, nothing.

I find the straw tossing behaviour very endearing - even if it doesn't always mean an egg [​IMG]

Another behaviour I find just as endearing is when they "kiss" one another; ok, they're not really kissing, just pecking some food off another's beak, but it still looks like they're giving one another a peck on the beak [​IMG] It's the way they help one another out I suppose.

Which behaviours do you find most endearing and why?

2. kaybats

kaybats Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Aren't they they all just so great?!? Each of mine has such personalities. And in my opinion, they are a lot smarter than anybody gives them credit for!

3. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    x2!! the more time you spend and watch their interactions, they really have quite a little community- and very opinionated!
    my gossips-
    [​IMG]

4. kaybats

kaybats Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    awesome photo!

5. Mum

Mum Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2011
    UK
    LOL @ your gossips!!! They look great [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by