Ended up with a ton of roosters this year! First time cooking a backyard chicken and have some quest

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Chickengirl1304, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Chickengirl1304

Chickengirl1304 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2012
    California
    They were barred rock Roos and were 13 weeks old. Scrawny but descent in the drum and thigh area. My question is: if they're only 13 weeks old why we're they tough? The meat was kind of rubbery. I baked one and deep fried six. Am I doing something wrong?

2. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    Did you rest the meat first? The best advice I've read is to rest meat in the refrigerator for a few days (until it easily moves around again). Even then, we'll still get one with rubbery meat, but not often. 13 weeks should be a good age to cook almost anyway as long as the meat has been rested.

3. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    Yes, they must be rested! We rest ours up to 7 days but 3 or so is just fine. As an experiment, we ate a freshly butchered meatie last year and even he was tough without resting. And then if you did rest them, there's always overcooking I suppose?

4. El Exorcisto

El Exorcisto Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2011
    I just find the "typical" American cooking methods to result in tough birds. Typical meaning roasted, frying, and sauteing. My chickens all get potted first, typically in tomatoes or dilute apple cider vinegar. If the dish doesn't involve the pot, then the meat gets pulled off the bone, shredded or chopped, and used however it needs to then whether a saute or tossed with whatever.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by