1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

ENDED - WINNERS ANNOUNCED - Official BYC Mini Contest #10 - Creative Eggs & Eggshells Contest

Discussion in 'Sponsored Content, Contests, and Giveaways' started by N F C, Nov 1, 2016.

1. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Also loved the "Sunny & Cher," eggs but can't remember who entered them.

2. Catandherchicks

Catandherchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    Paris, TN

Thanks! I don't keep track how long any gourds take to complete, but I'd estimate about 8 hours (not counting the drudgery of cleaning the gourd and the inside of the eggs). It was actually quite easy, but the goal of doing a mosaic in different colored eggshell pieces will be quite difficult. I saw one once and it was so impressive.

3. Embuck

Embuck Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2014
    Here is my first entry:

[​IMG]

Plain eggshell, cotton floss, beads, sequins, and a generous amount of superglue. This was my first, and took about six hours.
    Second entry:

[​IMG]
    Three coats of shellac, cotton thread, synthetic metal thread. My second, but it took a lot longer. (All that "cross-hatching" with a tiny thread...)

3 people like this.
  4. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Those are wonderful! Did you make the holes with a Dremel? Will you use these as Christmas ornaments?

I haven't seen this type of decorating on eggs before, very cool!

5. DwayneNLiz

DwayneNLiz ...lost... Premium Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Central New Hampshire
    So cool!!

6. Catandherchicks

Catandherchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    Paris, TN
    @Embuck Wonderful! Very creative! You must have some nice thick eggshells.

7. Embuck

Embuck Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2014
    Yes, those holes were made with a Dremel. I was lucky with the first egg; the shell was strong enough to take it. The second and third eggs quietly vanished. The fourth egg is the one posted; I gave it three coats of shellac before drilling. There are a couple of dark secrets patched together with superglue on each egg.

I do intend to use these as ornaments. Christmas tree, or Easter tree, or maybe both. I've had wild ideas of an "egg-mobile" as well. You know, a framework with the eggs hanging on strings...

8. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    That is such a cool idea, love how they turned out...must take a bucket of patience, lol.

Your egg-mobile idea reminds me of an egg someone posted quite a while back, Cinderella's coach
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/584503/i-decorate-eggs#post_7615757

[​IMG]
    Can't imagine even attempting something that intricate.

9. DwayneNLiz

DwayneNLiz ...lost... Premium Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Central New Hampshire
    i like the idea of the mobile

[​IMG] good luck!!

10. WaterWindStone

WaterWindStone Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2015
    WOW...some really great eggs here! This looks like a fun contest, I wish my birds were laying right now. Everybody is molting! [​IMG]

Keep up all the wonderful eggs everyone!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by