Ended Official BYC Mini Contest #2 - Tell us your best chicken story and you c

Wow, such great Chicken Stories thus far
clap.gif

Well here is the story of Pepper the special needs Easter Egger cockerel

(sorry don't have a phone yet and that is the only photo i have of him)

well we started out with 5 EE chicks less than a month old.Blossom, Gypsy Brooklyn, no name (which is now Pepper), and Goldie they were very very happy chicks! Than they went down hill fast...my favorite chick Blossom was a happy little chick, but here and the others health slipped. They got sick and one day i came home and my Blossom wilted away into chicken heaven. The others were quickly fading away also, only Pepper was going strong! After a week or two of Blossoms death Brooklyn passed away she was a tiny little thing with lots of heart until her tiny little heart stopped to on her. I was devastated! As I regained hope with the others a sudden death struck...my Gypsy was a little perfect chick and I loved her until the end! It was down to two chicks, Pepper and Goldie both were cockerels. They were both healthy but once again Goldie's health turned for the worst.. i came home and he had went to chicken heaven. He was a feisty one but I loved that little bugger! Pepper the little survivor was the only one left all alone, no one likes him the rooster attacked him and the hens pecked him.I was the only thing he had left, the others left this earth and the rest rejected him like a CD player. He is a meracle! I was his only friend which is me! My cousin named him Moco at first but it didn't fit him! He got the name Pepper b/c I let him out when my grandma and I where picking peppers and Pepper decided to try a pepper and then i couldn't keep him away it was a workout to keep him away and that is how he got the name Pepper! Pepper is a real snuggler too! If you sit down on the ground when Pepper is out he will get in your lap and rest his head on your leg and fall to sleep! And how he loves when you pet him! One of the best things are , that the he comes when called and he follow you around! He has a scissor beak......so it is hard to eat and keep things down but some how he manages too do it but i have to clean his beak were it will not close he is calm when i do it b/c its a daily thing for us both. He does like to ride in my shoulder and arm! OMG just amagine all the snuggles i get!!!!!! Just here recently he has found a new friend (my older sister). She loves him! She was laying on the concrete with Pepper on her chest petting him, and all the sudden a Buzzard flew by and Pepper sounded the predator alarm! It was adorable! And know is attempting to crow!He is so spould!(he even comes inside the house!)

here is better pic of the little guy

here is better pic of the little guy
That was such a sweet story! I have such a soft heart for scissorbeaks! I had the sweetest Silkie rooster with scissorbeak and have a hen right now with scissorbeak. They are always the sweetest. I think they are greatful for the second chances at life. =)

Last edited:
That was such a sweet story! I have such a soft heart for scissorbeaks! I had the sweetest Silkie rooster with scissorbeak and have a hen right now with scissorbeak. They are always the sweetest. I think they are greatful for the second chances at life. =)
thank you! yeah! he is my first ever scissor beak! and as of right know he is a lover! and such a cutie! wee might get some EE hens and hatch an egg or to to keep for myself! but they are pretty cute!!!!!!!!!

I will do my best to keep this story PG.

I went to a chicken swap with my niece Lily a couple of years ago and unexpectedly came home with a pair of Old English Banties-Sherman and Weezie. I had never had a rooster before and it didn't take long for the hatching bug to hit me. I borrowed a friend's incubator and collected 7 of Weezie's eggs. 10 days in I discarded 3 eggs that were not developing. Lockdown day I discarded a fourth that had the dreaded red ring. 3 eggs left. I had timed set date for hatch to happen during a weekend and my niece begged to be there when they hatched so we arranged a sleepover. Friday night I saw my first pip! We woke up excited Saturday morning but still no chicks. We had a long list of activities to keep us busy in hopes to not be glued to the incubator all day and finally discovered our first chick Saturday afternoon. He was clearly a little roo and was busily pecking at the other two eggs. Lily reminded me that I had promised she could name them and "Pecker" was what she came up with for chick #1. I was a bit concerned that he was not the first egg that had pipped. That one was stalled with 1/4 inch zipped and hadn't progressed since the morning.
Sunday morning we woke up and found a second fluffy little chick in the incubator. Pecker was now playing soccer with the last egg which still had not progressed. Now I was really worried. 36 hours since pipping. I had read soooooo much about incubating -never assist/assist after 24 hours/never open the incubator while hatching. With Lily begging to hold two fuzzy little chicks and me worrying that the third had died we set up the brooder and I quickly googled and collected supplies to assist the last chick. When the lid came off Lily scooped up both chicks and took off to the brooder. I tentatively tapped the egg and thought I heard the faintest little peep. Upon examination the membrane seemed very dry. I began chipping egg shell and wetting membrane when I realized this little one was glued inside her shell. She couldn't continue zipping because she couldnt move. During this process Lily excitedly ran back and announced that she had named chick #2 "Little" because she was so much tinier than her brother. Worried I was in the middle of killing a chick I nodded agreement and sent her back to teach the chicks to eat. What seemed like hours later I had chick #3 out of her shell-no blood, no injuries but a very tired and weak chick. I put her back in the incubator to dry and hopefully recover.
That evening before Lily went home we introduced chick #3 to her hatch mates in the brooder. I asked Lily what we should call her. "Hmmm well, she was stuck so we should call her Sticky!"
Really? Oh geez...ok. I had promised she could name them.

Did you catch it? Because I hadn't. Not until I was relating this story to my boss 2 weeks later did i realized what I would be saying when I called the chicks to come to me.

Meet (in order from finger tips to wrist) Sticky, Little and Pecker!

yuckyuck.gif

3 cute little chicks and a niece that will never forget the experience you shared with her...good job auntie!

Back
Top Bottom