1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Endless Mountain Poultry Show and Auction Harford, Pa

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by Shaffer, May 17, 2008.

1. Shaffer

Shaffer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    Tamaqua, NE Pa
    Here's a report on the auction: There were extremely good quality birds being sold today.
    The prices were from good to high for the pure bred birds. Old laying hens were strong @ $8+.
    There was some real good OE game bantams in some of the harder colors available. One pair of Ameraucana bantams, many Brahmas in different colors bantam and large fowl, Austrolops, Wyndottes, Polish went high, New Hampshire rooster. Geese were very low @ $2.50 to $3.50 each. No guineas were available. Call ducks did good over $10 each. Chocolate Muscovys were near $20 each. Other breeds of ducks were also good prices for the seller. Large roosters were at the regular market value.
    The show was a disappointment only about 65 birds and the birds in the auction were somewhat better than some in the show. Hope everyone enjoyed themselves. HS

Last edited: May 17, 2008
  2. sara

sara Title Needed Here

That sounds nice! Too bad I'm never anywhere when there are call ducks!

3. wilds of pa

wilds of pa Chillin' With My Peeps

Wish i would have had time to make it there to much going on that time of morning here, also got a huge pheasant and bobwhite hatch going off,

however i did get up to the orwigsbergs pa auction tonight and there where bunches of ducklings and goslings there..They all appeared to be different types...didnt hang around to see what anything went for..

Charlie

4. Shaffer

Jan 2, 2008
    Tamaqua, NE Pa
    Charlie,
    Yes, I stopped there also after I left Harford. You know that I am fussy and I really don't want any crossed-bred birds. They were not anything fancy that I could tell but they were ducklings and goslings. I will wait till my son's friend digs out my pond deeper this summer hopefully. I want either good call ducks must be dark ones because of the hawks from Hawk Mt or pilgrim geese. Harry

5. wilds of pa

There ya go Harry, just what you need~some qackers.....Charm will like those...LOL ..

Let me know when you get it done, i will catch you a bunch of peepers to release in there...They keep the bugs down......

they keep our little pond and creek cleaned up nicely with the mosq.. Also the wild wood ducks always hang around for while there, i think they eat the poor little peepers and there tads...

Charlie

6. sara

sara Title Needed Here

I love to hear the peepers!

I need DH to finish my pond, he has visions of making it bigger yet. The hawks took most of my ducks, so I need some more. I'd get geese, but I'm afraid of them because we had mean [​IMG] ones when I was a kid.

7. wilds of pa

Sara they get so load here we have to close the windows some nights...But they are cool little froggies..........Our pond that is here is about 30ft by 40ft, but its filled with alot of silt and growing water vegation..however the wood ducks seem to love to cruise around in it...i wouldnt want to dig it out, as i know all those little critters have a nice home in it..lots of frogs and some turtles in there...

Charlie

8. sara

sara Title Needed Here

I might not like to hear them that much. My pond isn't that close to the house [​IMG]

9. Shaffer

Jan 2, 2008
    Tamaqua, NE Pa
    Charlie,
    Thanks but we have peepers already. HS

10. wilds of pa

One thing with deep ponds, once snappers get in there, they will slowly eat all the ducks up.. they grab them and drown them and well eat them...poor ducks dont even know what hit them..

Charlie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by