Ends of peppers, feed to chickens or toss in compost?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ShaggysGirl, Jul 15, 2010.

1. ShaggysGirl

ShaggysGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2009
    Temperance, MI
    We have started harvesting peppers ( Hungarian hot and sweet, cayenne, jalapeno, Thia hots and several others ) and looks like we"ll have a ton this year. Right now I have a lot of pepper ends. My first thought was toss them to the chickens like we do most veggie stuff, I give them cayenne pepper in their food daily too... but with these I am more worried about the size and the fact it is mostly stem left on the pepper ends and some seeds that fell out.
    So where would they do their best in the chickens or in the compost?
    Thansk
    Rhonda

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I think it would work well either way as long as they have grit to grind them up. The reddish ones will help darken the yolks. I throw my excess or insect/bird-damaged-beyond-use peppers to the chickens.

3. ShaggysGirl

May 24, 2009
    Temperance, MI
    Thanks, I'll toss them to the chickens [​IMG]

4. kateseidel

kateseidel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2010
    Now that my hens are free-ranging and have a broad variety of food choices, they are rejecting all and any type of pepper product I give them. Green, red, bell, hot - they turn up their snooty little beaks at them!! Mine go on the compost pile.

5. TurkeyMountainChickens

TurkeyMountainChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Central Virginia
    My birds won't eat peppers either. There aren't very many things they WON'T eat, but peppers are definitely one of them!

Spoiled creatures. [​IMG]

6. afishel

afishel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Spencer, Ind
    Curious why is cayenne peppers given in their food?? I am beginner what does this do? thanks I do give my chickens the ends of my papers and they do fine

7. TurkeyMountainChickens

TurkeyMountainChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Central Virginia
    I have tried putting cayenne in bird food to keep rodents out. For the birds, it's just a source of vitamin A, but it burns the eyes of mice, squirrels, etc. It works the first time, but my super squirrels get used to it really fast!

8. Bridget399

Bridget399 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    South Western PA
    Toss the peppers to the chickens, then put the chicken's waste on the garden this fall! Works for me!

9. ShaggysGirl

May 24, 2009
    Temperance, MI
    Quote:It's is supposed to keep them from getting worms as well as keep vermin out of the feed. I also put DE in their food and in their coops I dust with DE. All the bedding from the coops goes into the compost then into the gardens.
    Normally all vegetable and fruit ends, peels, or blemishes go to the chickens or rabbits no waste here lol I was just wondering about the stem ends on the peppers. Glad them seem to be ok. Ours did eat them all up [​IMG]

10. BethieofVA

BethieofVA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Yorktown, Virginia
    I have only given my ladies bell pepper and they it all, but the stem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by