Engagement Ducklings...need ID please

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by remme, Aug 9, 2014.

1. remme

remme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2013
    Jersey Shore
    got these 4 little ones as an engagement present...any idea what the two breeds are and around about what age?! Thanks
    [​IMG]

2. PoultryQueen101

PoultryQueen101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2014
    Middle-East Ohio
    Looks like two mallards/roeuns and maybe khaki cambells. They look like a few days old.

3. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    Cannot help with id, but what a great engagement present!!!!!!

4. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    There is a wealth of info on here about duckling care, check it all out, it is worth it!

Have fun with the babies!!

5. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    I think they might be a rouen, a mallard and two blue Swedishes. Could also be two rouens instead of a rouen and mallard.

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
  7. remme

remme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2013
    Jersey Shore
    How do you tell the difference between a mallard and a rouen? Ive read better things about the rouens. You think blue swedish I stead of khaki campbells?

8. PoultryQueen101

PoultryQueen101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2014
    Middle-East Ohio
    ive not had any of the above, but the darker ones can be roeun/mallard and the grey ones could be blue swedish/khaki campbell, ive only had muscovy and pekins and magpies, and they look nothing likr that.

9. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Yes, I think they're blue Swedishes because of their blue-gray color and it looks like they have yellowish chests. Perhaps you can show us a front photo of them. Swedish ducks will have a distinct yellow patch in the front, Campbells don't. However, they can be a mix between Swedish and Campbells which seems to be very common.

Rouens generally look like mallards and usually have two eye stripes near their eye, but sometimes the second stripe is not very visible. Rouens are large versions of mallards and don't fly. They're usually used for meat and eggs and have a pekin-like personality, but the beautiful mallard coloring. Rouens will grow quicker than mallards.

10. corrinekay

corrinekay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    I'll second the blue Swedish vote. My khakis never looked like that as babies. The others look like rouens to me. I have mallards, khakis and rouens. They look very young I'd say a week or so old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by