English Bulldog People? Updated with Pics, last post!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by MrsFordTN, Apr 17, 2011.

1. MrsFordTN

MrsFordTN Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2011
    Knoxville, TN
    We are adopting two from a rescue just over the way from us! We are soooo excited. They are 5 years old and I will post pics shortly. Just wondering if anyone has them and wondering about experiences?? U

Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
  2. tonkatuff

tonkatuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    Orange County NY
    They drool, burp, fart, and snore. if you've ever had to care for a baby or an elderly person than you should do fine. The require daily maintenance of their cranial facial folds to keep them from developing staph or fungual infections of the skin. Their eyes often need regular flushing with saline solution to clean out the boogies and pray neither of them develope dry eye which then requires daily eye meds for the rest of their life. Good luck! And don't let them get away with any nonsense behavior, if they have any scrap of decent Bulldog blood they will test your patience and experience as a dog owner!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  3. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    I have never had an english bulldog before but they are SO cute! I love their little wrinkles! Good luck! [​IMG]

4. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    Family has always had EB's. Currently 2, plus other dogs, and they go everywhere...including riding in the mules around the properties (additional jump-seats were added to hold more EB's! LOL), on vacations, trips to the store or across town, visits to family, duning with the rails & RV's, cross country trips, and staying several months each year on the north ranch. They can be expensive to care for because of vet & med needs, and usually they do require daily skin and eye care. [​IMG]

5. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    The only downside as others have mentioned is that the breed is prone to certain medical conditions. However, all the EBs I've come in contact with have been calm, friendly, anything goes kind of dogs. I would defintiely consider one for myself some day! (They are kind of gross in a funny kind of way. They fart, and snort, and burp fairly constantly!)

6. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    The first response made me laugh.
    I only know the breed from a friend having owned several over the years. They have all been sweet and loving dogs to people (although not always to each other). However, the snoring and the farting are more than I would personally want.

7. MrsFordTN

MrsFordTN Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2011
    Knoxville, TN
    Well, it looks like we will be getting them maybe this weekend or next. They are 5 years old, and raised together, house trained, crate trained, great with everyone (cats, dogs, kids, chickens, and other). We are so excited!

This is Maggie Mae (I might change this). She is a funky brindle and white. Perfectly healthy!

[​IMG]

This is Clyde. He is Fawn/Red and White, he does have only one calcified kidney, but the vet said he is healthy otherwise.

[​IMG]

8. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Adorable! I love the look on Clyde's face! He looks like a huggable goofball!

9. Alleychick

Alleychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Luv my bulldog maddie may; just make sure you wipe out their wrinkles or they get pretty stinky like bad fritos!

10. reveriereptile

reveriereptile Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Northern NY
    I have a female english bulldog that will be a year old tomorrow. I can also say that they do snore, burp, and fart. She also has the picky gland problems which makes her stink even worse. Only main problems I have is her pulling, jumping up, and eating/chewing everything. Her nylabone is the only toy that has out lasted her other toys. I did find out she loves the lazer pen. Mine gets extremely overly excited around other people and pets. Most hyper dog I've ever had. Since the ones you're getting are older they should be more calm and probably out of the wanting to chew and eat everything stage. Besides the facial folds make sure you check the back area on the female cause I know mine gets that area dirty. Also make sure they don't get over heated. They can't handle the heat. I've never had to try it but I've read if they get over heated and start choking on the foam in their mouth to give them a little squirt of lemon juice to break up the foam.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by