English Chick! Question about eggs in England?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by chicamama, Jul 27, 2008.

1. chicamama

chicamama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Topanga Ca
    My neighbor, from Wales, said they never refrigerated their eggs in G.B.
    Is this true?

2. anniepan

anniepan New Egg

Jul 26, 2008
    bourne lincs uk
    Nope we dont!!! lol why do you?? [​IMG]

3. warren

warren Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2007
    UK
    I refrigerate mine. I only keep the ones for boiling out of the fridge. I am in the UK midlands.

I have never met anyone who does not except the shops who leave them out on the shelves of the store.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2008
  4. chicamama

Mar 12, 2008
    Topanga Ca
    Interesting. Now it seems like some do and some don't.

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I do not refrigerate my eggs. Eggs that have never been refrigerated are far better to cook with.

I collect friday, saturday and sunday and put them in a basket on my counter. This is what I use the following week. I usually run out and use more eggs through the week. On a week when I have eggs left I cook those and feed them back to the hens.

The other eggs I put in cartons and refrigerate for other people who prefer them chilled.

6. jacyjones

jacyjones Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Aberystwyth, Wales
    I am in Wales - I only refrigerate if the weather isvery warm. We nromally keep the eggs in our porch which is not heated and with the weather we have most of the time actually feels like a fridge!!

7. chicamama

Mar 12, 2008
    Topanga Ca
    Quote:My mom is from Scotland and she lughed and pretty much said the same thing. I'm in Southern California. Temp difference may play a role.

8. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    Have to admit I fridge them in the summer, but not the winter. and when cooking them I leave them for say half an hour before using rather than straight from the fridge.

9. EggyChicken

EggyChicken Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2008
    England UK
    yep mine are in the fridge

10. Rosalind

Rosalind Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    But aren't your homes a lot less toasty than ours, too?

DH is from Devon, and he does not believe in central heating because apparently his boyhood home was heated entirely by fireplaces and a giant Aga stove. So we don't turn the central heat on until mid-October, then turn it off in late April. Even when it's turned on, the thermostat is set to about 55F (13C)--with the fireplaces going, usually the central air doesn't come on till very late at night, and the parts of the house where the fireplaces don't reach bloody FREEZE!

So I can see leaving eggs out on the countertop there. It doesn't get super-hot in the UK in the summer; over there, 85-90F (30-32C) is like a giant heat wave that only happens one or two days a year in July, while here that is fairly normal for three solid months, even in the northern US. Their homes aren't set to 68-72F (20C) all winter, so ten months out of the year we would consider a British home on the chilly side. Their weather is just a lot more moderate in general than ours, less freezes and snow in the winter and less heat in the summer.

I do leave my eggs on the countertop for a couple of days, but only because the kitchen is on the north side of the house and my house tends to stay cooler than the great outdoors just due to thermal mass, and I live in the Northeast where it doesn't get oppressively hot for more than a few weeks. Don't think I'd leave them out if I lived in Arizona and the kitchen faced south.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by