English Lops

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by punk-a-doodle, Aug 21, 2011.

1. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Anyone have one available near Utah or the surrounding states (namely Idaho, Wyoming, Nevada, Colorado)? I'm looking for an indoor pet, so temperament is my main concern. Bucks are greatly preferred. I have found some breeders, but would like to check with BYC folks as well. If you know of any breeders or large rabbit shows near me though, feel free to chime in in case I didn't see them. Doesn't have to be available immediately. I'd actually prefer October or later. [​IMG]

2. gaited horse

gaited horse Merry Christmas!

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
    I don't know of anyoen with EL for sale right now but I can look around.

3. punk-a-doodle

Apr 15, 2011
    That would be so, so great Gaited! I have been having the hardest time...everyone's rabbitry sites and emails seem to be outdated. [​IMG] I wonder if anyone will be at our state fair next week with the breed? Like I said, no rush on having one, but finding someone with a rarer breed always seems to take forever.

4. gaited horse

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
    Quote:I know what you mean. Trying to show and sell rare breeds is really hard when your the only breeer in the state.
    Where are you located? What color? How old?
    I know breeders and they might be able to help keep their eyes open.

5. punk-a-doodle

Apr 15, 2011
    Man, I'm sure. So much of showing and selling seems to benefit from having others interested in the same breed to network, trade, talk, and learn with.

I'm in Salt Lake, but willing to drive a good distance. My favorite color by far is broken tort, followed by pretty much all the other colors evenly, and then my least favorite is solid white. But, I'm mostly interested in the personality, so if there was a sweet, say, blue and an aggressive broken tort to choose from, I'd go for the blue. I'm leaning towards a younger rabbit this time, but older is fine with me too. I'd say, three years or younger. Eight weeks (I think that is the age many breeders sell their new litters at?) to a year would be great though. The thing I'm pretty set on is having it be a buck though, as I've just experienced much better pet qualities from them.
    Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  6. punk-a-doodle

Apr 15, 2011
    Thanks for the help Gaited horse, but went home yesterday with two new Elops! Will start a thread for them later. I was only expecting one, but they are gorgeous little things, and sweeter than I could have imagined. [​IMG]

7. gaited horse

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
    Quote:YAY congrats.

8. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    English lops are precious and usually very sweet. My rabbit barn's mascot is an EL. Strictly a pet. She belongs to my manly-man friend who has probably spent more time with her and taken more pics of her (and sends them all to his friends & family) than with his grown kids. Everyone teases him to no end that he fell head over hills in love with a rabbit, but he doesn't care...he can't hide it and doesn't care to, lol. They can surely capture one's heart.

9. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:I started to say what rabbit doesn't capture your heart. Then I remembered the holland lop I recently sold....

10. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    Quote:I started to say what rabbit doesn't capture your heart. Then I remembered the holland lop I recently sold....

Yep, lol. I'm partial to all rabbits and have my favorite breeds, but EL's, well...there's something extra special 'bout them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by