English Orpington Sex Question

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Donnise, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Donnise

Donnise New Egg

Mar 13, 2017
    Santa Fe, Tennessee
    [​IMG][​IMG][/IMG]I have 13 hens that I bought as pullets. That was simple. Now I have 6 straight run English Orpington chicks that are six weeks old and I have no idea what they are. There is only one I'm fairly certain is a rooster (lavender) because he has a bigger, redder comb and waddle than other five.

I would appreciate any tips. I have more pics. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  2. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Donnise [​IMG] Welcome!

Sorry, it is a bit difficult to tell with those images.

If you post a full body shot of each chick on it’s own and also a head shot showing the comb and wattles on this Forum, you will get some expert opinions: http://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC. I agree with Teila - pics of individual chicks are much better in terms of peeps helping you out.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You can also post photos at "what breed or gender is this." It's best to wait till 6-8 weeks of age. Best photos are each chick standing naturally in profile, and also face front showing extent of comb.

Welcome to Backyard chickens.

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Donnise, and [​IMG]! It's great to have you in our community! [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  6. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

It's nice to have you join us!

7. ACanChx

ACanChx Just Hatched

Jul 23, 2016
    South Carolina
    Welcome to the group. I needed help figuring mine out last year and once they were about 8 weeks old and had individual photos the group helped me nail accurately for each one. Good luck - such a fun stage! Anxiously awaiting my 10 babies in June! Out of my original 10 only three were hens [​IMG]

8. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    Welcome to BYC! The others gave you some good tips. Hope to see you around! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by