English Red Caps?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Okla-doodle-doo, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Okla-doodle-doo

Okla-doodle-doo Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Portland,Tn
    Does anyone have any red caps? Its one of the few rare breeds I have never seen. Always wanted to try. Anyone have experience and or pictures?

2. GardenerGal

GardenerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I had half a dozen Red Caps for a season and ended up selling them at a swap. They were nice, not mean, but nervous types. I don't know whether it was just the particular strain of birds I bought (from McMurray) or if it's their basic nature. I do remember reading some breeder information on them saying that they are a kind of high strung breed.

They are also small-ish, and the eggs are too. But they are interesting, especially the combs. I got only pullet chicks and no cockerals, but I saw photos of mature roos and they do get big weird looking combs. [​IMG]

If you like having unusual and rare chickens, and don't need to handle them much, then Red Caps are not a bad breed to have. They're just not good as kids' pets or that kind of thing. More of a curiosity and collector's breed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by