English Springer Spainel

I've trained Springers before and they tend to be high energy dogs that need a lot of exercise. The ones I met were very sweet and really pretty.

My mom owned one. Beautiful dog and Max was smart too. Brindle is right about the high energy part though.

I raised ESS for years and even had some of my pups go on the be AKC agility champions.
They are wonderful dogs but are very "people oriented dogs". As a generl rule they crave human attention and are very jealous of other dogs and can be aggressive toward them so be careful if you own other pets. They are great with children and the best dog my son ever had as a child was a ESS male names "Spot", lol, how creative a 3 year old can be
big_smile.png
He grew up with Spot and the dog went everywhere with him. It looked over him and was quite watchful, tollerant and good natured.

I have an ESS/Border Collie. His name is Shadow and he certainly is that. We found him as a 9 mo old puppy in a culvert during a thunderstorm. He has dominance issues but is super obedient as long as he is never overindulged. He will fight other males at the drop of a hat. We live in an area that is saturated with puppy mills and I'm pretty sure that's his heritage. He's 11 now and truly family.

I had one, Milly, she was a great dog, very loving, fun to have around, very high energy, and had seperation anxiety really bad. I agree about the one human oriented, she did not much like people showing me attention and did not like other dogs around. She died of a stroke at age seven.

They can be quite hard of hearing/stubborn when engrossed in something (particularly hunting), but all in all they're good dogs. They're a good size too, not too small and silly but not too big to deal with either.

Back
Top Bottom