Enjoying an Australian Winter day.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duckyfromoz, Jun 19, 2010.

1. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Sorry.....no snow pictures...I will leave that to all you over there...But here are a few snaps of my ducklings enjoying some rare sunshine today. It has been raining and overcast for the last two weeks so its nice to have such a lovely day over the weekend so I was home from work to let them enjoy it.

I just took the older 6 out first to see how they coped with the temperature. Stevie- Ray the blind Runner is the White one at the front. Noggin is just to the left of Stevie-Ray - Still yellow and fluffy- but starting to get some feathers poking through.
    [​IMG]

Then I let the other babies out too. Stevie -Ray had had enough by then and was snuggled up in my lap- Jaynie is the little one standing on the left and tiny Charlie is right in the middle.
    [​IMG]

There is a six week age difference between all these ones- I have 8 females that I can tell so far out of these ones.
    [​IMG]

2. lovesduckies

lovesduckies Bedroom Farm Inc.

Jan 11, 2010
    the ducky room
    awee cute pictures ducky. they are getting big so fast!

3. animalloverabh

animalloverabh Allons-y, Alonso

does jaynie still have her babby fluff?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
  4. tia

tia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    Oh they are so cute... Very pretty.

5. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Quote:They all still have some but the oldest ones have grown around half their feathers now. Jaynie is stiff a little fluff ball - with no sign of feathers yet- But I do expect her to have some little wing and tail feathers starting to poke through any day now. I am hoping that tomorrow has the same warm conditions so I can let them out again. They had a great time - and had a very long afternoon nap once they were all brought back inside.

6. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    Oooooooh Way too cute! [​IMG] Mine are all grown up now, they grow too fast. [​IMG] I was just wondering how Stevie-Ray became blind. I have a crested duck that is blind in one eye, she was injured as a duckling while they were being shipped to my house. [​IMG]

7. love_a_duck

love_a_duck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2010
    Waterford, Michigan
    [​IMG][​IMG]

these duck pictures make me smile.
    they are so pretty and stand so nicely.
    just love em
    thank you.
    picked me up a little just now.

[​IMG]

8. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Quote:Bock , Stevie- Ray hatched with white cloudy eyes, The cloudy appearance disappeared after about day two- But she has remained unable to see. Yesterday while outside for the first time I watched her behaviour closely so as to get an indication of what special needs she may have once outside full time. She did follow the others around and even had something to eat and drink without assistance- which was wonderful considering the new environment.

I dont know what caused the blindness- it may have been a genetic malfunction or an incubator issue, but I have had no others since with sight issues. I have had ducks with just one eye in the past during my " rescue " days and they all lived very normal lives. I hope your little crested duck manages to adapt and lives a normal life too. At least knowing it was blind through injury- you can still breed from it without worry of bad genetics being passed on.

9. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    Quote:Bock , Stevie- Ray hatched with white cloudy eyes, The cloudy appearance disappeared after about day two- But she has remained unable to see. Yesterday while outside for the first time I watched her behaviour closely so as to get an indication of what special needs she may have once outside full time. She did follow the others around and even had something to eat and drink without assistance- which was wonderful considering the new environment.

I dont know what caused the blindness- it may have been a genetic malfunction or an incubator issue, but I have had no others since with sight issues. I have had ducks with just one eye in the past during my " rescue " days and they all lived very normal lives. I hope your little crested duck manages to adapt and lives a normal life too. At least knowing it was blind through injury- you can still breed from it without worry of bad genetics being passed on.

Poor duckie. [​IMG] At least if she never knew what it was like to see it will be easier for her. My crested duck does Ok, but I do worry about predators getting her, she doesn't even notice when I come towards her, so I always be sure to talk to her so she isn't too suprised. Today is their second day at the pond, but when I bring them down in the morning and up in the evening I have to carry her so she doesn't get left behind. [​IMG]

10. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    Awww, they look cute and happy! What lovely ducks you have. Thank you for sharing them with us! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by