Enjoying Fall, Ya'll?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by soonerdog, Nov 11, 2009.

1. soonerdog

soonerdog Chillin' With My Peeps

I've been plaqued with .........LEAVES! [​IMG]

Each day, when I can, I'm cleaning the yard. I live in the woods and leaves are heavy when they fall. I don't want them to smoother my grass, as it is, the grass has a hard enough time with all the shade. But I DO love my trees! Guess it is the price to pay..huh? Some mornings I awake, after having cleaned the yard of leaves the day before, and I feel many ways about the situation.......[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Then I just smile and stop my complaining get on to the work again. Counting my blessings and thankful that I'm able. [​IMG] My leaf ordeal.....[​IMG]

"LEAFY LEAVES"
    LOVE TREES WITH ALL OF THEIR LEAVES WITH ALL OF THEIR TREES, SHADING TRODEN PATHS OF WORK AND PLAY, COOLING THE BREEZES EACH BREATH'S A FRESH! GREEN THESE COLORS ABOUND, A MIRACLE WORK OF LIFE. GLORIOUS COLORS, MOMENTS OF PLEASURES PASSING. QUICKLY, FLUTTERING FROM A HIGH WAVING AS THEY PASS, BYE. CUSHIONING TRODEN PATHS OF WORK AND PLAY, BECOMES THEY MORE WORK TODAY.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Our leaves will begin falling in earnest the middle of December and they come back on the beginning of February.

But, we hit 91 today...all time record high for the date.

3. Svarthona

Svarthona Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    The leaves are down since weeks, [​IMG] it´s already winter here and freezing most days. I face the same situation when the leaves fall though. I really love my birches, but is it really necessary they have sooo many leaves and dump all of them in my yard, on my grass, at the same time? [​IMG]
    What turned out to save a lot of time is to wait with cleaning untill all leaves are down. Here it happens within about 2 weeks, so the yard isn´t messy for too long. If anyone asks, my official response is: "It´s fall! That´s how fall is supposed to look [​IMG] isn´t it pretty!?"
    And I use our small tractor lawn mower (no idea what the proper term should be, sorry) and drive in circles over the worst areas to line them up in one big line which is easier to pick up and chop the rest into smaller pieces so they disappear between the grass and the worms can drag them down quicker. This saves me a lot of work and is also good for getting better top soil over the years, if one has a lot of sand in it like we do unfortunately.

4. 19Dawn76

19Dawn76 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Toadsuck, AR
    I always think the leaves are pretty fro the first week then they start to look messy to me. I want to go out and rake right now but am determined to wait until the very last leaf falls. We have 2 huge pin oak trees and their leaves are very hard to rake.

5. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    All my leaves are down now too, along with a zillion acorns. When I let my chickens out, they run like the dickens to scratch and play in the leaves. I've got to clean them up though, yesterday I saw my chooks slip in them after running - don't want any sprained legs!

And Dawn - aren't those pin oak leaves the last ones to fall? [​IMG]

6. 19Dawn76

Apr 26, 2009
    Toadsuck, AR
    Yep. The pin oak and the pecan. [​IMG]

Who am I kidding? I'll be out there in a while raking leaves.

7. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    [​IMG] I like the leaves; they are so pretty! But it gets tiring when I try to rake them...I decided to try and rake them all last weekend and it took hours! [​IMG] My hands were realling sore afterwards.
    I still love looking at them, but what's sad is now they are ALL falling off the trees so all the trees look like giant, dead twigs. [​IMG] I liked it better when the leaves were all on the trees in the beginning of fall, when they were just turning orange, gold, red, yellow, etc. so pretty! [​IMG]

8. 19Dawn76

Apr 26, 2009
    Toadsuck, AR
    there are a couple trees that line the road and the leaves just die and stay on the tree till next spring when it grows new leaves. I really get tired of looking at those brown dead leaves. Sometimes I want to go pick them all off one by one.

9. that_crazy_lady

that_crazy_lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2008
    Rose, OK
    I love the fall! every thing but the wind that is.

I should send you all one of my brothers, he love to rake leavs, chop wood, hall hay, don't even think about asking him to do house chores though it will never happen. lol

10. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I'd be enjoying it more if the weather would let us get all our fall farm work done.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by