Enjoying our chickens since February

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by jngavinTX, Jul 30, 2014.

1. jngavinTX

jngavinTX Hatching

Jul 30, 2014
    Howdy from May, Texas. Where you say? It's about 20 miles north of Brownwood, TX in central Texas. We got out first chickens back in February of this year. We started with a Black Copper Maran Rooster, Cochin Rooster and about 7 other hens of various types. In March we got another 26 babies. After a long 10 weeks or so we were able to introduce the newbies to the older residents. For the most part they all get along. Here is a list of what we have now.

Black Copper Maran (Rooster)
    Australorps Hens
    Barred Rock (Rooster)
    Barred Rock Hens
    Black Sex links
    Cochin Hens (Rooster)
    White Leghorns

I'm retired and love my chickens. Seeing I've raised the little ones since they were a couple days old, they will follow me everywhere. Especially if I have treats (Dried Mealworms)..I just shake the bag and they come running from wherever there roaming. Last month we started free ranging them during the daylight hours. They lineup at the door when the sunrises waiting for me to open the door. They stay out all day and are back in the roost by about 8:15pm. I just walk over and close the coop door. Very well behaved.

Our Beautiful Copper Maran Rooster is name Cheech. The Cochin is Chong. The new kid on the block is Too Tall, the Barred Rock. He's about 5 months now and towers over the other two. I didn't think 3 roosters would be happy, but they all huddle together in the roost. The younger hens are just now starting to lay. We get about 15/16 a day currently. By the end of summer we should be at least double that. I attached a video of our morning ritual...Enjoy....Best Regards, John

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Crowing

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. Great introduction. My wife and I were both raised in the great state of Texas. You have a great mix of layers. I love both the Black Sex Links as they are friendly, egg laying machines, and the Black Australorps, which calm and gentle, and the best layers of the standard brown egg laying breeds. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

3. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons

Apr 23, 2014
    Colorado
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here help.

Loved your intro!

Glad you joined and best wishes with your flock!:)

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to the flock. Loved your video, you really need to stand back to avoid the stampede. Looks like a lot of happy chickens.

5. sumi

sumi Égalité

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Bird is the Word

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

You have a lovely flock! So glad you could join our community and welcome to our flock!

7. jngavinTX

jngavinTX Hatching

Jul 30, 2014
    Heres our fortress we built for the ladies....[​IMG]
    [​IMG]Fridge for the eggs

[​IMG]Screen door keads out to the run
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]This is "Too Tall:...He's only 5 months and is growing like a weed. He's bigger than all of the chickens. His feet are massive...Maybe 5 inches across...

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 Free Ranging

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Lovely flock, and a beautiful coop/run!

9. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. .....

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Great setup - may I ask why you chose to have a separate refrigerator in the coop for egg storage?

10. jngavinTX

jngavinTX Hatching

Jul 30, 2014
    Just easier. Right from the nest to the fridge. That way if anyone stops by for eggs they can just grab them from the coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: