Enjoying scraps from our grocery store

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by ChickenCharmer, Nov 14, 2009.

1. ChickenCharmer

ChickenCharmer Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm now picking up veggie scraps from the local grocery stores, to help lower the feed cost. I dug a pit to put the scraps in so the chickens wouldn't scratch 'em all over the place, but they still manage to. [​IMG] They get so many more greenies this way! [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
  2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    OMG...poultry heaven! LOL

Your chickens are really cute!

3. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Good idea, I do this when feeding my pig's they really like the different treats.

AL

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Wow...good of you to ask them. And generous of them to give them away. I know they would only be going to waste, but some places still wouldn't offer...

5. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I asked at a couple of places. They act like the scraps are nuclear waste of something and wont let anyone touch them.

6. ChickenCharmer

ChickenCharmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:No kidding? Mine have a shortage. All the chicken people in the area are scrabbling to get the scraps! My mom went in to get scraps the other day, and, carrying her bag out the door, she met another lady going in to get scraps. The other lady looked really annoyed that we got their first![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by