1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Enjoying the run and discovering watermelon

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by gvilledh, Jul 6, 2011.

1. gvilledh

gvilledh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2011
    Greenville, SC
    After several attempts at offering watermelon, the girls finally decided it was something good today. This was after I had convinced them this morning that yellow squash was good (by breaking off tiny bits and letting them run around showing it off). Watermelon is now on it's way to becoming a favorite treat, which is good with all the heat we have been having. They are loving being able to go outside. I can't believe they are already 4 1/2 weeks old!
    [​IMG]

Mrs. Beasley was thrilled to finally get it to herself...
    [​IMG]

I LOVE the watermelon covered faces! Of course it seems my foot or my shorts are the places to keep wiping their beaks off!
    [​IMG]

One of their favorite things in their run-this stump! There is often at least four of them on it.
    [​IMG]

This is our Lucy, the only Silkie. She is getting beautiful. She is an independent sort who loves to go around squawking at everything. Tries to be the boss, but doesn't really succeed. She is a week older than everyone else and I think the lack of being held that first week has made a difference with her. We really try to hold her as much as possible now, but she is not crazy about it.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
  2. Miyashi

Miyashi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Gaylord, MI
    Cute pics. Love the silkie! That picture of the little lady alone with the melon is adorable.
    <3

3. Chickeroni

Chickeroni New Egg

Jul 6, 2011
    So cute! What are the breeds?[​IMG]

4. gvilledh

Jun 8, 2011
    Greenville, SC
    We have two Silver Laced Wyondottes, three Buff Orpingtons, two Ameraucanas (we added them when chicken math hit us), one Cuckoo Marans, and one Gray Silkie or maybe a gray and Partridge mix. Not sure about her color completely yet, but she is looking more like a gray one. I will try to find a picture that shows them all.

5. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    Aw.... those are adorable. Thanks for sharing.

6. The Turken Lady

The Turken Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Just plain adorable!! [​IMG]

7. holy cow, does that one have BLUE eyes????

8. gvilledh

Jun 8, 2011
    Greenville, SC
    Quote:That is exactly what I thought when I saw the picture! I've got to look at her when I go up there later and see them again (they are at my co-workers house which is just up the street from me).

9. rhpues

rhpues Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    Timmonsville sc
    mine looooove watermelon

10. StevieNacole

StevieNacole Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2011
    Guthrie, Oklahoma
    Lucy is very cute! Good pictures![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by