Enlarge Abdomen Area *First time chicken owner*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Schizted, Aug 25, 2014.

1. Schizted

Schizted New Egg

Aug 25, 2014
    Was patting one of our girls on the butt and felt a large round spot under her vent. Thought it was a egg so just let her be, next day it was still there so researched egg bound chickens and gave her another day. on the 3rd day i gave her the spa treatment in epson salt bath. and massaged her abdomen. Now on the 4th day she still has the enlarged area i was told by a local chicken keeper to give it a little force and try to massage it out so i tried but it feels like there is no egg there its real squishy, she has all her feathers down there, does not seem to be red, shes eating drinking and active, tail seems to be in the up position like her sisters...?

They all just started laying a couple weeks ago, They have been on Layer feed for a week or so and have had oyster shells for a few weeks now.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I wonder if an egg has broken in there, or if it is a soft shelled an egg so that it feels soft. I think I would try soaking her in a sink of warm water for maybe half an hour and then keeping her in a darker room for a couple of days, to encourage her to rest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by