Talerconrad

In the Brooder
May 1, 2019
Okay, so I am on day 22 of a hatch that has had a lot of hiccups (including a couple accidental cool downs) so I was already expecting them to be delayed IF they hatched at all. Right now there are no pips but when I stick a flashlight in the incubator to check them they’re still moving and all of their air sacs have gotten really really big. Is that a good sign? I can also still see veins, and I was under the impression that those would go away in preparation for hatching.. It almost looks to me like they have just stopped developing? The picture attached isn’t great, you can definitely see very defined veins if you’re looking at the egg

Attachments

• 7DA75747-31FD-418D-80E7-A52940E06CEE.jpeg
    7DA75747-31FD-418D-80E7-A52940E06CEE.jpeg
    261.2 KB · Views: 56
If you can still see movement from the chicks you’re doing fine. The veins you are seeing will begin to disappear as the chick nears her entrance into the world. The air sac does enlarge very quickly right before hatch.

The veins are one huge reason many chicks die (bleed out) when people try to assist with the hatch. The other reason is the yolk not being absorbed. Don’t rush to help. That could prove detrimental.

Most likely the cool down(s) set the chicks back a bit. But seeing movement is a good thing. Good luck with your hatch.

With the temp drops it may take them a bit longer. I have read up to day 26 they have hatched. I have had them hatch up to day 23. Since you still see movement just give them time....

How was the humidity?
The humidity is fine...now. I have one of those awful little giant incubators and didn’t realize that their hygrometers are totally off! I thought my humidity was at 48% day 1-18 but turns out it reads 48 no matter what the actual humidity is, so who knows what it was at for most of the hatch. I bought a hygrometer to put inside and have kept it between 75 and 80% since lockdown. I’m nervous that the humidity was completely off for almost the entire hatch and that could have caused issues as well

The humidity is fine...now. I have one of those awful little giant incubators and didn’t realize that their hygrometers are totally off! I thought my humidity was at 48% day 1-18 but turns out it reads 48 no matter what the actual humidity is, so who knows what it was at for most of the hatch. I bought a hygrometer to put inside and have kept it between 75 and 80% since lockdown. I’m nervous that the humidity was completely off for almost the entire hatch and that could have caused issues as well
Could have but the eggs looks good. Give it time and see what happens. Humidity sounds a little high now.. I kept mine between 65 to 75 and was told to lower it to around 55 at lockdown and around 35 to 50 ish 1-18.

Could have but the eggs looks good. Give it time and see what happens. Humidity sounds a little high now.. I kept mine between 65 to 75 and was told to lower it to around 55 at lockdown and around 35 to 50 ish 1-18.
So now two have internally pipped about 12 hours ago and I can see them breathing but otherwise no movement! They also don’t respond when I tap. Would you start to assist?

I would wait a little while longer... maybe if there is nothing by this evening then at least put a saftey hole in them. But it takes a while.. just keep an eye on them.. is there any chirping coming from the eggs. Or do u hear tapping from the inside.

Back
Top Bottom