Enlarged breast

Happydaddy

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 26, 2014
We have brown leghorn pullets that are 7 1/2 weeks old and one of the smaller ones has a big bulge on her breast It is soft like a balloon. The chick eats and drinks well and her poop is normal.
We have put her in her own cage. When I caught her to put her in her own cage she threw up but hasn't since. She is running around like normal. Any suggestions?

Is she still acting normal? That's a strange one. Have you tried looking down her mouth and throat with a flashlight? Right under her chin would be her larynx, trachea, and esophagus. It sounds like maybe you mean her crop. Which would be next in line. sort of between her throat and breast. Her gizzard is down lower, in her body. So, if it's her crop, maybe she has sour crop? Does she have access to grit? We have never had sour crop here, that I remember, but there is a lot of information about it on here, and that's what I suggest you research.

Last edited:
There are also some worms that can be in the crop. It sounds like your chickens are pretty young, but in addition to researching the sour crop issue, you might also consider getting a vet to do a fecal exam for you. Here. that costs around $15.00. Not all vets will do it if they know if's for a chicken, but if you have a regular vet, they usually will.

Perhaps a breast blister? What kind of bird? Any recent trauma? What kind of perches do you use?

She is a brown leghorn. This is about the size of a tennis ball. Feels soft like a balloon with a little air in it. She didn't go up on the roost yet. We moved them from the brooder to the hen house and fenced yard last week. She eats and drinks well. She does get grit.

Back
Top Bottom