Enlarged Chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FromChaos, May 12, 2010.

1. FromChaos

FromChaos New Egg

May 12, 2010
    HEY BYC! I've been surfing the site for a year now and finally signed up!

I've looked everywhere I could think and have a problem that I can't find any info on.

The first part of April my husband and HIS brother brought home 4 chicks, (usually that's my department) [​IMG] . They each bought two that looked to be about a week apart in age. My husband's receipt says Black Sexlink and California White, I'm not sure about the brother in laws but they look to be out of the same boxes. Problem is, one of his chicks is double the size of the others. It just waddles from one side of their pen, sits down to drink, waddles to the other side and sits down to eat. When you pick her up, she's like 2-3 times the weight of the others. I don't have photos right now and I know this is probably kind of hard to explain but any help as to what might be wrong with her. I still haven't put them in with my other birds. (16 hens of various breeds running with Randy, an Ameraucana rooster) I have three boyz running free range and i'm just wondering if the new ladies shouldn't be turned out with them when they are ready. I'd hate to jeopardize the rest of the flock. I'm not sure if this is genetic or not ... the three other chicks seem fine.

[​IMG]

2. Gonzo

Gonzo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    Does it seem healthy in every other way?

3. FromChaos

FromChaos New Egg

May 12, 2010
    yeah ... maybe a few missing feathers but I kind of figured she's getting her grown up feathers.

4. chickerdoodle

chickerdoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Oregon
    Could it be a Cornish Rock meat chicken by any chance? If its fine in all other ways I'd ask the guys about it. [​IMG]

5. Gonzo

Gonzo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    If its not lethargic, and seem notmal in every other way, I wouldn't worry. You may just have you a whopper of a chicken! I've noticed with all the chicks I've raised that I usually have at least one that seems alot larger than the others and at least one we refer to as a runt.

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Sounds like you picked up a meat bird chick... At 6 weeks old, if it's more than 3lbs, it is usually slated for the dinner table at 8 weeks or so.

7. FromChaos

FromChaos New Egg

May 12, 2010
    Thanks alot ... maybe she is just BIG. Don't think I could bring myself to eat her though! Will the meat birds lay eggs? We do have a runt out of the four ... Wee is her name.

8. chickerdoodle

chickerdoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Oregon
    If its a pullet she can lay eggs but they are usually a hybrid so if they are fertile (any roosters around?) who knows what you'll get. Most meat chickens die young due to heart failure and are prone to leg problems due to growing too fast. I had one live nearly two years and she was not a prolific layer but was the sweetest and friendliest chicken you could ever meet (I did hand raise her though- its a long story). I treated her like a laying hen and did not give her the special food marketed for broilers or fryers. Its rare they live longer than a few months--I was incredibly lucky. They are also prone to breast blisters so soft bedding is needed. Hope for the best for you both! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by