Enlarged crop on one side, is this normal? (pic included)

Momaha

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 20, 2011
Sooner Nation WWHQ
This chick is 3 weeks old today. She has been sleeping standing up. Just now I noticed she has what appears to be an enlarged crop on one side of neck and it is hard. The other chicks do not have this. She has been on medicated feed and gave her egg yolks one day.

What do you think it could be and how should it be treated?

83267_bigcrop3.jpg

83267_bigcrop.jpg

The crop is located on one side and can look quite large after they pig out. Keep an eye on her and notice if it goes down. It should fill up and then go down as the food moves into the gizzard.

Yay Chicks! :

The crop is located on one side and can look quite large after they pig out. Keep an eye on her and notice if it goes down. It should fill up and then go down as the food moves into the gizzard.

Thank you. I will keep an eye on her.​

I don't know if it made a difference or not or if it just made me feel better but when that happened to one of mine I ran out and bought chick grit and it seems to have helped.

Quote:
I did that just this afternoon. However, they didn't have chick grit (for under 8 weeks) and my wal-mart doesn't carry parakeet grit. So I bought the grit, double bagged it, then hammered it using only the finest particles. I added that to gro-gel plus b and fed her separately and she pecked at it a little. The other chicks would have ate the gro-gel completely gone in two seconds. I have been reading on her that it could be impacted crop too. It doesn't seem to have changed shape or firmness throughout today.

Just for future reference we just use play sand. And I don't believe you should give them parakeet grit because of the extra calcium, I believe I read that. But yeah, just about every one of my chicks had enlarged crops and I was like uh...
hmm.png

Then by morning all of it was gone, and back later that day. They go outside and eat lots.

Quote:
I did that just this afternoon. However, they didn't have chick grit (for under 8 weeks) and my wal-mart doesn't carry parakeet grit. So I bought the grit, double bagged it, then hammered it using only the finest particles. I added that to gro-gel plus b and fed her separately and she pecked at it a little. The other chicks would have ate the gro-gel completely gone in two seconds. I have been reading on her that it could be impacted crop too. It doesn't seem to have changed shape or firmness throughout today.

Check it out tomorrow morning and see if it has gone down by then. It could be that she wasn't into eating much because she is already full. It's hard to imagine that she could get impacted crop from crumbles and a bit of egg yolk. Has she been eating her bedding material?

Check it out tomorrow morning and see if it has gone down by then. It could be that she wasn't into eating much because she is already full. It's hard to imagine that she could get impacted crop from crumbles and a bit of egg yolk. Has she been eating her bedding material?

Thank you for the info. The bedding material is my #1 suspect. Her crop has had no change through the day. I just gave them fresh water for the night and she drank a little and pecked at the chick starter a little. I will check her again first thing in the morning.​

Back
Top Bottom