1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Enlarged crops, when to do something about it?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by grassynoel, Mar 20, 2013.

1. grassynoel

grassynoel New Egg

Mar 20, 2013
    These are the first batch of chicks we hatched from our little Brinsea incubator. They're black copper marans (though the one in the picture has black eyes all the rest have standard gold). At this point they're almost 2 1/2 months old. About 3 weeks ago we noticed their crops were getting enlarged. There are 2 pullets and 1 cockrel and the crop is more noticeable on the females. After doing some reading on here, everyone says its normal, they've just gorged themselves. I let it go for a week or so, it just got worse. I even stopped feeding them for a day which didn't make much difference, but when I put food back in they seem to over eat even more. I've read if the crops are impacted they will raise their heads up and down, trying to dislodge food. Theyr'e not doing any of that. They're active and seem happy and healthy, though I think their crops are getting worse.

From the time the hatched, they were fed commercial starter/grower for 3 weeks, then switched to commercial grower (DuMor). I was going to switch them to organic grower feed this week, but I'm a little nervous about their crops. Though this is the first batch I've incubated, I have 2 prior batches of BCM's, none of them have displayed this problem, they have all been raised on the same feed. About the only thing I can think of different with this batch, I put in the "Baby Cake" treat, which made them little gluttons. The three of them would finish off one of the treats in about a week. When I first started noticing the "food boob" I stopped giving them treats, thats been about 3 weeks now.

Their crops don't feel hard like they're full of food, they almost feel full of fluid, which makes me worry about infection to some degree except they seem too healthy. They like being held and don't seem to mind my poking at their crops. Any ideas if I should just let them be or do something about it?

2. grassynoel

grassynoel New Egg

Mar 20, 2013
    Thanks for all the helpful replies; ended up losing both chicks. Learned a couple lessons the hard way, first do something about the problem at the first sign of crop trouble. Second, don't bother asking for advice on here.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by