Enlarged Hock and Limp

May 22, 2019
Salt Lake City, Utah
Hi All,

I have a hen that is about 4/5 months old now. When she was little, I got her and her sister but they were extremely small compared to other chicks and much more "sickly". The sister passed away with in 48 hours, but Vivenna made a recovery and is growing well with the flock.

I'm curious about her development though because she walks with a limp. She looks how I would imagine an injury like Bumblefoot. So for weeks so I have been picking her up and checking the bottoms of her feet: no visible injuries, both feet are warm, they face the correct direction, they are straight beneath her. She puts pressure on them both fine, besides the walking limp, and can stretch her legs back. She prefers to sit more than walk, but has no trouble getting up to run so I can't pick her up, staying with the flock, eating and drinking regularly, foraging like the others, poop is normal, etc. She doesn't have any other visible issues like discoloring or discharge. However, I noticed for the first time today that the leg she limps with has an enlarged hock when I run my hand over it.

I'm trying to research and see if this is a fatal issue or more of a developmental concern that she can live with as long as I monitor it. Have you guys heard of anything similar? Is there anything I should look for or do?

4/5 months old

I'm curious about her development though because she walks with a limp. She looks how I would imagine an injury like Bumblefoot.

no visible injuries, both feet are warm, they face the correct direction, they are straight beneath her. She puts pressure on them both fine, besides the walking limp, and can stretch her legs back. She prefers to sit more than walk

I noticed for the first time today that the leg she limps with has an enlarged hock when I run my hand over it.
Can you post some photos of the leg?
A video of how she moves might be helpful (upload video to youtube and provide a link)

Back
Top Bottom