Enlarged liver and Sour Crop

AshleyB97

Chirping
Mar 11, 2020
So I've been noticing that one of my hens was a little off I took her to the vet and she was diagnosed with sour crop and a enlarged liver. They gave me antibiotics to lessen the bacteria but they said there was nothing they could do for her and gave her a month or less to live! Please I sour crop is curable but how about the liver?? Can anyone please give me advice on how I can help her??. I don't want her to die! She eats and drinks normally they did a fecal test and it came back fine. So if you guys have any advice I'll take it!!

Eggcessive

Addict
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Apr 3, 2011
southern Ohio
Did the vet do an xray to diagnose the large liver? How old is she and does she normally lay eggs? Reproductive disorders, cancer, and water belly can all increase the pressure in abdominal organs which may add to crop disorders. I know of a virus called big liver disease which is caused by lymphoid leukosis virus. That is a viral type of cancer. Pictures of your hen can sometimes help. Here is a good article about crop disorders:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

AshleyB97

Chirping
Mar 11, 2020
Did the vet do an xray to diagnose the large liver? How old is she and does she normally lay eggs? Reproductive disorders, cancer, and water belly can all increase the pressure in abdominal organs which may add to crop disorders. I know of a virus called big liver disease which is caused by lymphoid leukosis virus. That is a viral type of cancer. Pictures of your hen can sometimes help. Here is a good article about crop disorders:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Yes she did do a X-ray to see. She is a year and a half old and hasn't been laying any eggs as far as I know. They gave me some antibiotics to help sooth her and told us to isolate her from the rest of the flock so that she wouldn't be picked on.

Attachments

• received_852155258767887.jpeg
    received_852155258767887.jpeg
    34.8 KB · Views: 2

AshleyB97

Chirping
Mar 11, 2020
Yes she did do a X-ray to see. She is a year and a half old and hasn't been laying any eggs as far as I know. They gave me some antibiotics to help sooth her and told us to isolate her from the rest of the flock so that she wouldn't be picked on.
They think it's liver disease

Eggcessive

Addict
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Apr 3, 2011
southern Ohio
Is her lower belly between her legs enlarged with any fluid? Ascites is common with reproductive disease, cancer, liver disease, or heart failure. What do her poops look like?

AshleyB97

Chirping
Mar 11, 2020
Is her lower belly between her legs enlarged with any fluid? Ascites is common with reproductive disease, cancer, liver disease, or heart failure. What do her poops look like?
I don't think so or atleast they didn't mention anything like that to me. Her poops are green and white and a little runny.

AshleyB97

Chirping
Mar 11, 2020
She's also missing feathers from her vent area and her skin there is red like it's irritated.

Eggcessive

Addict
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Apr 3, 2011
southern Ohio
Pictures of her vent area and her poops are welcome. Crop problems can be bacterial or fungal. If it is fungal, antibiotics can make it worse. If it is bacterial, giving anti-fungal drugs can help prevent an overgrowth of yeast. Medistatin (Nystatin) powder is available online, as well as fluconazole, but your vet can also prescribe them to treat fungal sour crop or prevent overgrowth of yeast from antibiotics.

AshleyB97

Chirping
Mar 11, 2020
Pictures of her vent area and her poops are welcome. Crop problems can be bacterial or fungal. If it is fungal, antibiotics can make it worse. If it is bacterial, giving anti-fungal drugs can help prevent an overgrowth of yeast. Medistatin (Nystatin) powder is available online, as well as fluconazole, but your vet can also prescribe them to treat fungal sour crop or prevent overgrowth of yeast from antibiotics.
Okay is there anything to be done with her enlarged liver they told us that her sour crop was caused be her enlarged liver? Is that possible?

AshleyB97

Chirping
Mar 11, 2020
Also how can I tell if it's bacterial or fungal? Would it be based on the meds she gave me or would they have to do more tests to see?

Top Bottom