Enlargement of repro organ(s) causing open mouth breathing

SilkieNation

Songster
13 Years
Oct 26, 2007
Rhode Island
Hi,

I adopted a Silkie hen in June 2019 who coughed ever so lightly once the day she arrived, and I one of her eyes was slightly watery. The owners had just taken her to the vet for a health check before handing her over and that vet gave her a clean bill of health.

Since then she has gotten progressively worse. She has been open mouth breathing for months. Now, it's all of the time.

Took her to a good avian vet - took an x-ray, did a fecal (negative). The x-ray showed that her reproductive organs (I didn't see the image...:hmm but assume ovary at least) are enlarged and appear to be compressing her lungs.

We've had her on a number of different antibiotics, last course for a month. Nothing is touching this. Vet thinks it's infection and not tumor, but who knows. Her eyes are watery, but no nasty discharge.

She eats, has some energy, and has been doing relatively okay. But, lately, she's lost 4 ounces and I can see that she is now beginning to decline.

I don't THINK any of my other three hens have caught whatever ails her, but if it is some kind of insidiously slow growing thing, I may change my mind in a few months. My girls are all older and have stopped laying for the most part.

Do any of you have any idea what this could be? I will, of course, have her euthanized when I see that it's getting too tough for her, but after all of this care and trying to get her better, I'm not quite ready to give up on her.

Thank you for reading this!

When she breathes, do you hear rattling or rasping? Does she seem to be getting worse over time? My money is on cancer even though the vets haven't seen the tumors. The tumors in chickens often are tiny little bumps, not definitive masses. The tumors can be inside of the organs causing them to enlarge and crowd everything reducing function. Sadly, I've had many cases of this in my flock since they carry the leucosis virus.

Your chicken is at the right age to succumb to this disease if she was an egg that was vertically infected as her egg donor laid it. If she doesn't seem to be improving, and she is in a lot of discomfort, euthanasia would be the kindest approach. Then a necropsy can confirm what has been making her so sick.

This is what she was on for a month. I forget the the names for the first two. It had a minor effect. I say this because she is getting worse now I'm not giving her anything, but it didn't clear it up.

Seems I don't know how to properly post replies....

Azygous, the thing is, she's been slowly getting worse--since June--she is eating (although losing weight) and it is only the past week that her energy seems to be waning. But yes, cancer is a definite possibility.

I am not feeling hopeful right now, and I am seriously concerned about my other girls - I keep the coop/run clean, but I am not as a rule, disinfecting (A/C sometimes).

Thinking reproductive disorder and I suspect upon necropsy that you'll discover lash material buildup taking up valuable real estate in her abdominal cavity. If she were my hen, I'd let her enjoy life with her flock until it becomes evident that her quality of life is too poor to subject her to the suffering, and then euthanize her. Take comfort in knowing that you're doing all that you can for her. I'll keep your girl in my prayers, specifically asking for more good days than bad.

Huh - never heard of lash material and Salpingitis - I just did some quick research - too quick however, to figure out if it is contagious. But - she's been on a ton of antibiotics.

Whatever it may be, I am letting her do exactly as you suggest. Fortunately my vet gives the birds he euthanizes a bit of anesthesia first, so she'll drift off peacefully.

Thank you all for you thoughts. I am going to share them with my vet. (Still am not giving up!)

Back
Top Bottom