Enough Coop Space?

CackleBabies

Songster
9 Years
Mar 26, 2015
In reading another thread about the right amount of coop space, I'm worried. I have an old jungle gym tower approximately 3 x 3 that we have converted into a coop for our new chicks: 5 regular sized hens, and 3 bantams. Will this coop, plus an 8 x 4 ft run be enough for them in winter? We live on 2 acres in northern West Virginia, and plan to let them free range spring/summer/fall once they're out there. My goal is to build a permanent walk-in house with run of about 1/2 acre around our garden, but that won't happen this year and we've already got week old chicks.

Our large birds are: white leghorn, brown leghorn, buff orpington, black australorp and Rhode island red. All should be hens.
Our bantams are: black silkie, buff brahma, and either a partridge Cochin or mille fleur d'uccle (can't seem to tell; they were listed as feather legged assortment) at the Southern States.

Last edited:
In reading another thread about the right amount of coop space, I'm worried. I have an old jungle gym tower approximately 3 x 3 that we have converted into a coop for our new chicks: 5 regular sized hens, and 3 bantams. Will this coop, plus an 8 x 4 ft run be enough for them in winter? We live on 2 acres in northern West Virginia, and plan to let them free range spring/summer/fall once they're out there. My goal is to build a permanent walk-in house with run of about 1/2 acre around our garden, but that won't happen this year and we've already got week old chicks.

Our large birds are: white leghorn, brown leghorn, buff orpington, black australorp and Rhode island red. All should be hens.
Our bantams are: black silkie, buff brahma, and either a partridge Cochin or mille fleur d'uccle (can't seem to tell; they were listed as feather legged assortment) at the Southern States.

Short answer - imo, no, that is not enough space for that many birds. Is the 3x3 coop just one "story" of living space or have you constructed it to have more than one area (not sure how tall it is as you did say it's a "tower"? 3x3 gives you just 9 square feet of living space and the 4x8 run is only 32 square feet - meaning you have bare over 1 square foot in the coop and only 4 square feet in the run per bird.

Not even close. It's big enough for just adult bantams. It could work for all of them until they are 3 months but not after. Spend the next few months cruising CL for free sheds, playhouses, shipping crates, XL dog houses or coops. They are out there you've just got to be the first to go get it.

It does seen a little small. You will see when they get bigger problems from overcrowding may start. Your run is also quite small in my opinion. My coop is a repurposed lil tykes playhouse. It is about 4 x 4 . It handles 7 chickens now , but only 3 are standards. The run is of course huge, so the coop is only for overnight sleeping. I do not have any overcrowding issues . You can see my coop pix in my profile page. Coop is only for warm weather housing. Winter , the girls stay inside garage.

And of course
welcome-byc.gif

Thanks everyone for your help. I thought I might be in trouble with the coop size and this many birds. I can expand the run, but maybe we'll just get started on the walk in coop instead. I think DH is a chicken convert now that they're here. Here is a picture of the coop, with my DH inside during construction, so you have an idea of the scale. And here's our little brood. So what size coop would work for 8 birds? Would 4 x 8 or 6 x 8 work?

Thanks everyone for your help. I thought I might be in trouble with the coop size and this many birds. I can expand the run, but maybe we'll just get started on the walk in coop instead. I think DH is a chicken convert now that they're here. Here is a picture of the coop, with my DH inside during construction, so you have an idea of the scale. And here's our little brood. So what size coop would work for 8 birds? Would 4 x 8 or 6 x 8 work?
Excellent idea to get started on a walk in coop, go big!

But that tiny playhouse coop might come in real handy for brooding chicks, sick bay, isolation coop, etc, etc.

You have a nice thing there. In my opinion, I would use it and expand and add on to it. Situation may be different for your circumstances, so do your best.

"""""""A person that does not ask questions, does not get answers. """""""
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom