Enough is enough (Pictures Added)

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by MarkR, Dec 12, 2007.

1. MarkR

MarkR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    Ivy, Virginia
    Okay, that's it! I was up all night coughing and sniffling because of all the @@#[email protected]!#@$% dust those girls are making in my house. [​IMG] Tonight they are moving out to the coop. They're completely feathered out and it's warm, so it's time!!!!! [​IMG]

Mark

Last edited: Dec 14, 2007
  2. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

it's warm? [​IMG] wow I would love warm and I am sure my 1/2 frozen birds would too [​IMG] its no fun inhaling chicken dust [​IMG]

3. BantyChickMom

BantyChickMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2007
    Henderson, NC
    I know what you mean Mark.

The babes in my house are keeping my allergies in full force,
    but they're only a month old (some younger) and I haven't quite got a good setup for them outside yet, so I just can't bear the thought of them going out.

Yeah Okie,
    It's been 70's here since the weekend, 60's tomorrow and Friday, and back to a 40ish high for Saturday.
    Very nice here, hard to believe it's December!
    So sorry for all your bad weather.

4. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    i'm in jersey and its about high 50's low 60's. somewhere in the middle of that. MT chickens are downstairs so I dont get to much dust in my lungs and nose. Though they do hate it when I am eating chicken in front of them

5. MarkR

MarkR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    Ivy, Virginia
    Mine are down in the basement, but they're right next to the air handler so the dust gets nicely spread everywhere in the house. That was a definite strategic error on my part. Not their fault, but they're still out.

Yes, it's nice and toasty here. In the 70's today, though we're getting cooler this weekend I hear.

Mark

Last edited: Dec 12, 2007
  6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I have twelve babies in the nursery coop from three weeks to six weeks old with a 250 watt heat lamp and a 100 watt red flood lamp, both hung about 2-3 ft above the floor. The length of their part of the coop is over 7 ft and it's over 4 ft wide, so the older ones can get away from the heat and the youngest can get right under it. I still have six younger babies in the bsmt brooder, but they don't make near the smell and dust of all of them combined. We'll be in the teens at night in a few days, but right now, it's heavenly in December!

7. Smitty's Farm

Smitty's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    Yep, it's amazing the dust that can be spread all over the house with little babies dust bathing in their brooders. My husband couldn't wait to move them to the garage, then he complained about the dust there and couldn't wait to move them to the coop. They are so cute, but make a dusty mess.
    My daughter has very mild asthma and sometimes has a hard time going in the coop if we've just laid down a fresh layer of wood shavings. Good luck with your cough. Sounds warm enough to make the move.

8. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    I switched bedding material a month ago and love the new stuff. It even smells good too. I get it at petsmart. It comes in rose, mint & lavender scents. I started using it in my button quail cage too.

Kaytee Soft-Sorbent Lavender Scented Bedding

9. Smitty's Farm

Smitty's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    Quote:Ohhhh! I'll have to check it out. Lavender scent sounds lovely. How big does it come (bale size?) and how much do you pay?

Thanks! The wood shavings seem to be getting dustier & dustier with each batch I buy.

10. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Yup! Know how you feel I have 2 blue orps from my hens that hatched last week, all the shipped eggs didn't develop so I have only 2 Christmas babies in the house!!...Going to tell everyone that dust is really homemade snowflakes!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by