ENOUGH NEST BOXES??

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Pine Roost, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Pine Roost

Pine Roost Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2012
    South Carolina
    I have six 8 week old RIR's and three 1.5 yr old Bantams....just got Bantams last week and they aren't laying yet, getting used to the new environment I reckon. Right now I have 4 nest boxes (12"x15") because I initially thought I would only have 6 total...but now I have 9. Would yall recommend more boxes to accommodate the three new comers?

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I personally would add some more nest boxes.

3. Missa Chickabee

Missa Chickabee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    Really, Kevin? Gosh, maybe I need more too

I had heard (read on the site here) that 1 box per 4 birds was enough.

I have 18 hens and 6 boxes. How many more should I put in?

Should I put a community box in instead of more single boxes? My girls are right their POL (all the fancy new abbrev's I'm learning. :)

3 of 4 that are laying really do take their time in there. (Like some people's length of time in the room down the hall :) I've seen two leghorns in one nest at the same time but I only have 3 of those and the other 15 are Buff Orpies.

Thanks in advance (don't mean to hijack here, but I guess we are all learning from each other's posts and replies)

Missa

4. mickey328

mickey328 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2012
    Northern Colorado
    Generally 1 box for about every 3 birds is good. We have two for our 6 chickens but they all use the same one anyway, LOL

5. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    It really varies on each individual flock. Some people's flock work fine with lower ratio while others require more nesting positions. I only raise waterfowl so I'm sure it will vary for chickens.

6. Y N dottes

Y N dottes Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    South Central WI
    I thinks it depends on the situation. I have two nesting boxes for 5 chickens, but they all use the same one. If they are leaving half of them alone anyway more probably wont help.

7. Missa Chickabee

May 27, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    Gotcha. Thanks Kevin. I will keep an eye on them and provide more if it looks necessary. Doesn't take long to put something together.

8. Pine Roost

Pine Roost Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2012
    South Carolina
    Thanks everyone. I may see how the four boxes work before I add more...because I would rather not build and install more if they would not be used.

9. ailurophile23

ailurophile23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2010
    VA
    For what it is worth - my first flock had 15 hens and four nest boxes. They typically all laid in one box or maybe a few eggs in a second box (when the line was too long, perhaps). There were often two hens in a box and sometimes three at one time - pretty impressive given that they are brahmas and are rather large. My second flock has seven hens and my father-in-law made a wonderful double-decker stack of nest boxes (8 in all). The hens only use two of the nest boxes. I think waiting to see if all the existing nest boxes are used is a good idea.

10. Missa Chickabee

May 27, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    Just wondering #23 (I still just love your cat) do the hens use the upper or the lower boxes more?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by