Enough room for 6 Rhode Island Red hens?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by noahsmom, Jan 12, 2013.

1. noahsmom

noahsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2013
    North Eastern, Ky
    I know you guys are probably tired of hearing this sort of question, so I'm sorry a head of time for Any annoyance
    Im wondering will a 30x15 run be large enough for 6hens? The run will start out high and slope down in height because a hil starts inside the run area. The coop is going to be close to a 12'x12' inside a stable/barn that we are fixing, I haven't measured just making a rough estimate.

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Yup. Plenty big! The general rule is minimum of ten square feet per chicken in the run, and yours will have 450 square feet. Six chickens would need a minimum of 60 square feet. So, yup, you got plenty of room! A 12 X 12 coop = 144 square feet inside, which means you could experience Chicken Math and keep many more than six hens. Not that I'm saying you'll want to het more or anything like that. innocent expression*>

3. noahsmom

Jan 11, 2013
    North Eastern, Ky
    Great! I'm so glad you have me a minimum amount to go off from per bird. :)

As far as more, I decided we would start out with 6 because I feel 6 could be easily manageable for us. However, if I were to get more it may be something that I just think is beautiful, not that RIR's are not beautiful. But, I have seen some really beautiful chickens in person and on this forum that intrigue me! Lol

4. noahsmom

Jan 11, 2013
    North Eastern, Ky
    Great! I'm so glad you have me a minimum amount to go off from per bird. :)

As far as more, I decided we would start out with 6 because I feel 6 could be easily manageable for us. However, if I were to get more it may be something that I just think is beautiful, not that RIR's are not, just have some beautiful chickens in person and on this forum that intrigue me! Lol

5. bamachicks8

bamachicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Chicken math :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by