1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. stumble_n_mumble

stumble_n_mumble Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    hey guys i have currently a pen i built it is 14 feet long and around 9 feet wide and 6 feet tall. the pen is 14 feet in the front then is on a diagonal back so it gets bigger to the back. i have a peking duck/swedish duck/2 silkies/ and 1 japanese bantam. is this enough room for them? i have 3 houses as you can tell in the picture below. i have one white house, a house thats a little higher and a doghouse off of the pen. Is this sufficient enough? i would also like to add a runner to the group. Will i have enough room?
    [​IMG]

2. stumble_n_mumble

Nov 23, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    oh and there is a sunken in kiddie pool lol

3. stumble_n_mumble

Nov 23, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    Anyone [​IMG]

4. cameldairy

cameldairy Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2009
    Cairo, GA
    I'm not sure about the size thing but do you have a top on that? What are your temps like where you live?

5. tigerbarbd

tigerbarbd Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2009
    Maryville,Tennessee
    Good afternoon![​IMG] I think you have enough room,outside. By your dimensions, you have 126 s.f. for 5 birds, of coarse the Ducks are larger than the Chickens, but that should be enough room .You didn't mention the SIZE of the "houses"[​IMG], that would be the concern, but they look large enough.[​IMG] Good Luck.........Don

6. tigerbarbd

tigerbarbd Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2009
    Maryville,Tennessee
    P.S.....I just noticed you live in N.Y. What about the SNOW:D and the COLD:/......Don

7. possumqueen

possumqueen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Monroe, North Carolina
    How long have you had that setup? They look like they get along okay, which is the best indicator of whether you have enough room. If everyone's healthy it's okay, but . . . .

Ducks and chickens "can" be incompatible because ducks make wet surroundings that chickens might not tolerate. that kinda goes back to the space issue, too. If the chickens can get away from the wet you're okay. Who sleeps where?

Cameldairy has a good point. Do you have a top on that?

It looks like you live in a tight little neighborhood with closeup neighbors. Is someone complaining about your birds?

8. stumble_n_mumble

Nov 23, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    all my birds were raised together so it was no problem everyone gets along fine thanks for the concern [​IMG]
    there is a tight netting on the top which is all zip tied on and stapled to the fence! the temps are getting down to about the teens at night. and snow is on its way. it will be the first time they will witness snow so we will see how that goes.
    i am within my town limit of 6 "poultry items" and i have 5 and no roosters. so if they complain, they can't do anything [​IMG] haha\\
    they all have their own houses its funny. the 2 younger chicks sleep in the white house which is 4 feet by 2 feet. the middle wooden house is off the ground and is 2 feet by 2 feet and my one silkiie hen sleeps there. and i have the big doghouse made for the ducks but they like to sleep outside instead. haha.

9. stumble_n_mumble

Nov 23, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    [​IMG][​IMG]

10. stumble_n_mumble

Nov 23, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by