Enough space for buff hens

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by mjroberts, Mar 14, 2013.

1. mjroberts

mjroberts Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2013
    Orange city fl
    I have been ready about how many chickens per square foot. I bought six buff Orpington hens and I built a coop with a ten foot run. The coop is 4'x4' with two laying boxes is that enough space for them or do I need to add more laying boxes or what do I need to do before they get old enough to go in the coop.

Thanks mike

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

First, they won't need nests at all until they are just about ready to lay.. They tend to make a mess of them if allowed access too early. One nest can typically service up to 7 or 8 hens. They love to all lay in the same nest.

As far as space, the whole "rule of thumb" thing is just that. A guide. It helps new folks understand the MINIMUM space required. I don't personally put much stock in those formulas. Chicken's cannot do math. Take it for what it is worth from a long, long time chicken keeper. More space, especially if you live in a colder, snowy climate, is always better than less. Just is. They get on each other's nerves if confined too tightly.

Enjoy your adventure.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  3. mjroberts

mjroberts Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2013
    Orange city fl
    Thanks Fred I hope it is enough space and they don't get on each others nerves. I will hope for the best. What do I need to watch for in case it is not enough.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by