1. MountainChickenMama

MountainChickenMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    My husband is converting an 8 x 10 shed into a new chicken coop and I need to know if a run that is 6 feet wide, 30 feet long, and 6 feet high is enough room for about 8 girlies, no roo's.....Thanks in advance....How many chickens could I keep in a coop this size?

2. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

8x10=80/4=20 Depending on what your wintertime weather is like and whether or not your run will be protected from snow and such. Lots of snow--I would go with no more than 10 so they don't pick each other to death while cooped up.

3. KaneMoa

KaneMoa Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2011
    With a very ample 4' square space for each hen your coop could easily house 20 chickens. With your current space and if you allow them free access to the outside run then you should have 8 very happy hens. But I would comfortably put 20 hens in a coop and run that size. My coop is 15 by 8 and I have a run that's about 30 by 10 and I have 30 hens all happy and healthy, no pecking problems. I doesn't snow here but it gets into the teens and my girls do fine.

Last edited: May 13, 2011
  4. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Depends a lot on your weather. If you live where there's lots of snow, then I wouldn't keep more than 10 in there. If you live where there's little-no snow, then you could easily do 20.

5. MountainChickenMama

Jul 12, 2010
    Wow, thanks for the fast replies....We get a decent amount of snow as I am in the mountains of West Virginia, but I am planning on covering the top of the run (most likely).....Any suggestions how how/what to do with the inside of the coop, how many nesting boxes, how many roosts, etc??

6. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Quote:1 nest box for every 3 hens. 1 foot of roosting space per bird (assuming full size, not bantams). [​IMG]

7. MountainChickenMama

Jul 12, 2010
    Quote:1 nest box for every 3 hens. 1 foot of roosting space per bird (assuming full size, not bantams). [​IMG]

thank you Cowgirl71!

8. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    I think that is Great sounds like they will have plenty of room.

9. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Quote:[​IMG] You can also lay some plywood, plastic, or stacked bales of straw along the sides of the run as a wind break too.

10. MountainChickenMama

Jul 12, 2010
    Forgot to ask, does this allow for chicken math at all?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by