Enough space?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Hvacmoose, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Hvacmoose

Hvacmoose Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2014
    Oregon
    Is this enough coop for my new hens X4? Their yard is 16'x20' in the winter and 16'x60' in the winter. I am adding ventilation today and some roosts. Any thoughts?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

I am not quite sure how they would get up high to a perch.

I might open up the lowest level too, since that would be easy for them to get to.

Here on BYC the standard answer to "how much space per chicken" is 4 square feet in the coop and 10 square feet in the run.

If your hens are sweet towards each other, you might be able to get by with less.

If it is too little space they will start pecking at each other.

3. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    I agree with completely with Alaskan. For space 4 sqft is the standard amount you need per chicken inside of a coop, and that space does not include the nest boxes. I would also open up that bottom level so they have more floor space. If your hens get along really well you may be able to get by with that little space otherwise you might get some pecking/feather pulling type issues.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    NO. It might make a good brooder if you lay it on it's back...and do a lot of modifications.

5. Hvacmoose

Hvacmoose Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2014
    Oregon
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Updated. New coop. 5' wide by 7' long w three nesting boxes 16"x16"x12" tall.
    Is this better?

6. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    LOVE IT!!! That is adorable and looks like they will have plenty of space. The colors are great also.

7. JanetS

JanetS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2012
    The size is much better but I would be a little concerned about whether it's predator proof. 1/2" hardware cloth is a better wire than the chicken wire you
    are using. Do you have any wire on the floor? Can't tell from picture. This is very important to have!! If you have chickens you will have some predators and they come
    in many sizes. I would hate for you to go out and find your chickens gone or dead from a fox or raccoon.

You might also want to cut off the ends of the screws so your chickens won't get hurt on them.

Good luck. We learn something new everyday from our chickens. Many good and some sad (lost one to bobcat and one to illness) but we've been
    so glad to have them [​IMG].

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by