1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Enough ventilation for my new coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mommawolf, Sep 25, 2016.

1. mommawolf

mommawolf Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2015
    Plainville, GA
    I just finished my coop that is 6X6 and 4' high inside. It has a double decker nesting area with easy access from the outside with doors that lift. I also have "french doors" on one side for easy cleaning, a 2'x1' window that is screened and of course the coop exit with planck. So here is the question, I have approx. 3" high x 3' wide screened ventat the very top of the coop, that does not close shut. Should I cut another vent area for the winter time? It has been so hot that we leave the screened window open so they don't cook! I keep hearing so many thoughts on the vents and would really, really appreciate some straight up thoughts before it gets to dare cold. We live in the north mountain area of GA.
    Thank y'all>>>>> that's kind of new for me..... LOL

2. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Pictures will help, but it sounds to me as though you will need LOTS more ventilation all year. Mary

3. mommawolf

Dec 27, 2015
    Plainville, GA
    I leave the Windows and doors open during the day and the 2'x 1' open at night as its screened . so do you think I should rige it so it stays open a few inches at night or should I still drill #6 - 2" holes at the top of the coop on all 4 sides and screen them? Thanks for replying so quickly.

4. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Big openings are best, with hardware cloth well secured. Two inch holes hardly count! You could have a three sided shed, with hardware cloth, and do fine. aart has some good links to an article about coop ventilation, get a look. Mary

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    ETA totally misread OP

Really need pics.

Ventilation article linked in my signature.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
  6. mommawolf

Dec 27, 2015
    Plainville, GA
    the measurements are 3" x 6' not 33". LOL I can see where that would be confusing. The ventilation runs across the length of the very top on one side. I was thinking I could just crack the window across from that ventalation a couple inches. That window is 2' wide x 1' deep.

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I totally misread your post saw it as 3' x 3'.. when it was actually 3" high x 3' wide.......then typed it as 33" SMH.
    We've both got it all screwed up.

Pics would help.

8. mommawolf

Dec 27, 2015
    Plainville, GA
    What fun would life be if we couldn't laugh at each other once in awhile! So I'm just going to drill #5 - 2" holes across the opposite side from the current ventilation area and screen them. I think that should do it just fine. Thanks for the reply and the chuckle.

9. hungry hunter

hungry hunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2016
    the Heart of Texas
    While I'm not sure if you NEED more ventilation, but it surely can't hurt. It's been my philosophy that in the South, the more ventilation the better. I have built a couple of coops here in Texas and I have at least 18" of hardware cloth around the tops of both of them.

I did cut some pieces of wood that I would screw on the north side of the coop during winter months to cut down on the cold drafts coming through, but I'm not sure that was necessary.

10. Daox13

Daox13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2014
    Richmond va
    My Coop
    So I have a question... I'm planning on having two removable windows backed by hardware cloth on the coop itself so I can close show under extreme cold and extreme weather. I was also going to install these 4.5" up top by the roof 4 on 3 sides... suggestions?[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by