1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

enough water?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by jeanbop, Dec 9, 2016.

1. jeanbop

jeanbop New Egg

Dec 9, 2016
    I have 5 chickens and a heated waterer. I have noticed the water level not going down as I think it should. They are eating good. Should I be worried?

2. Flock Master64

Flock Master64 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish
    Hi and welcome to backyard chickens. Do you ever see them drinking water?

3. TheHenHut4U2

TheHenHut4U2 Just Hatched

Apr 21, 2016
    South Bend, Indiana
    I would expect 5 hens to consume at least a 1/4 gallon of water or more daily.

4. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Possible......Your Birds are not used to the heated water yet......Get a rubber livestock bowl and fill it twice a day...It will freeze but easy to knock out the frozen water.......Just until they get used to heated water....Chickens are creatures of habit......

Cheers!

5. jeanbop

jeanbop New Egg

Dec 9, 2016
    Thanks for replies. I see them drinking occasionally. Before it turned cold here, I saw them drinking more frequently. It's now 5 degrees.

6. Howard E

Howard E Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2016
    Missouri
    As per this University of Missouri info, figure at least 1 cup of water per day per laying hen..... more to allow for any leaks or spillage. That is winter levels. Allow for double that during hot months of summer.

Do not overlook the "fresh" nature of the water we give them. A lot of containers will pick up off flavors or the water will go stale. If you have ever sipped water that has sat stale in a standard rubber garden hose for several days, you would understand. If you want them to drink enough, the fresher the water the better.

Water

Do not overlook water as an important nutrient. A constant supply of clean, fresh water is essential to maintaining healthy poultry. Twenty hens can drink about a gallon of water each day in cool weather. Water consumption increases dramatically during hot weather. Thoroughly clean water fountains or troughs once a day or more often if necessary. Refill with a clean, fresh supply of water. Be careful not to spill or empty water on litter.

Provide clean, pure water for birds at all times. Increase the supply to 3 gallons per day for each 100 chicks at six weeks of age; to 5 gallons at 10 weeks, and to 6 gallons at 12 or 13 weeks of age. Supply 6 to 8 gallons of water daily for each 100 layers. Provide additional water when temperatures are above 80 degrees; for example, at temperatures above this level, 100 layers require at least 9 gallons of water per day.

7. jeanbop

jeanbop New Egg

Dec 9, 2016
    Thank you. That is good information. I have a large water container and it is possible I need to change more frequently.

8. PinkMinnow

PinkMinnow Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2017
    So...we have a water tank with a hose that goes to a PVC pipe with three chicken nipples on it (horizontal style). We have six chickens, about 13 weeks old. And it's been HOT here.

I do see them drink from them occasionally. But my water levels are NOT dropping in a way that aligns with the numbers above.

A) should I be worried?
    B) what should I do?
    C) are they not self-governing? if they have it supplied to them, and drink occasionally, can they still become under-hydrated?

9. Flock Master64

Flock Master64 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish
    If they're thirsty and know where the water is, they'll drink it. You could spray their feed with water so they get some water then they eat.

IdyllwildAcres likes this.
  10. PinkMinnow

PinkMinnow Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2017
    With the forecast this week having several days over 100, I'm thinking about tossing some ice cubes/ice chips in and see what they'd do with that. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by