Enrichment ideas for dogs in kennels

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Tiramisu, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Tiramisu

Tiramisu Got Mutts

May 3, 2008
    Milan PA
    Just wanted to see if anyone can help with ideas for enrichment. The things that we currently do are, toys for dogs like tug ropes, stuffed toys and squeakies. We also have some Nylabones for the dogs that really chew so we have something that will last more than a day (so far they've lasted a few months). Most of the dogs get out on walks a lot and we have a big yard for them to run in, either one dog at a time or dogs that can be grouped. Although I haven't seen anyone do it for a while, we have done certain broths frozen into ice cubes. Peanut butter and treats in Kongs and recently we started using bigger plastic bottles, cutting a small hole in it and filling it with food. We tie it to the fence and that gives them something to do. That's all I can think of that we do right now. I do have an idea for using scents, like maybe getting a scent oil and putting it on a rag and putting them throughout the kennel and see if that helps them be more calm/less stressed.
    So, if you have any other good ideas I would like to hear them and see if they could be used in the kennel. [​IMG]

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    One of my friends uses frozen liver "pops" to keep her dog entertained. Also iced treats are popular here.

3. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    do you mean "kennel" as in crate? Or kennel as in an outdoor dog run (or indoor)? How big?

There are puzzles that you fill with food to make mealtime more fun. Here are a few: http://www.premier.com/View.aspx?page=dogs/products/toys/busybuddy or http://www.petsolutions.com/storefront/product-view.ep?pID=DogGamesTreatWheelPuzzleToy&utm_source=nextag&utm_medium=comparison&utm_term=10640114&utm_campaign=DogGamesTreatWheelPuzzleToy
    I
    have "ball inside a ball" The food goes into the inner ball and falls out as the dog rolls the ball.
    Sorry for the long link.

4. Tiramisu

Tiramisu Got Mutts

May 3, 2008
    Milan PA
    Well for inside they have kennels then a small door, or I guess hole in the wall to go outside and the fencing continues out there. It's for where I work, Animal Care Sanctuary, a no-kill shelter. We actually have a few things from that company, we have the egg shaped plastic one and the small hockey puck one. But we only have like 3-4 of those, I don't even know where they came from, if they were donated or bought.
    That puzzle wheel one seems interesting. Looks like it would keep them occupied for a while. [​IMG]

We also currently have 77 dogs, well 78, 77 in the kennel though. We've been having a good amount of adoptions currently, we also have another new shelter an hour away that has some of our dogs. That one can only hold up to 9 and I don't remember how many we have there, at least 5.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by