Entered my first show!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by MotherDucker26, Oct 18, 2015.

1. MotherDucker26

MotherDucker26 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2015
    Lancashire UK
    Hello fellow duck lovers...

I have fallen in love with my Welsh Harlequin breeding pair and have decided to show them in the next couple of weeks. And this will be a first for all 3 of us.
    It is a British local show and it's an open entry. We have no idea what we're up against. [​IMG]
    It isn't a handling class, I literally turn up in the morning and make sure that they're in their pens for a certain time.
    Sounds easy.
    What do I need to do for prep? Does anyone know what the judges will look for in my ducks? Any advice welcome...
    Here are a few pictures of my lovely duo. [​IMG][/IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Do you have show cages that you can place them in for several hours a day? Acclimating to being caged might be a help. Good luck, and have fun.

3. MotherDucker26

MotherDucker26 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2015
    Lancashire UK
    We are relatively new at the 'fowl' game. We started hatching eggs 3 months ago and also lost our auction 'virginity' last month. The majorty of our flock are 2015 born, with 3 fawn/white runners that are now 13 weeks. My harlequins that i plan to show were auction bought. I've had them 3 weeks now and concentrated on bonding and handling them.
    With us basically just starting up we have spent the time building enclosures and clearing land.
    When we brought the ducks from the auction we transported them in a chicken crate, a large chicken crate. Which we borrowed from a local chicken breeder. He actually supplies mc donalds with his chickens!
    As we dont own a cage ourseleves i could see if we could borrow one.
    Our fowl are kept on a horse farm where we rent land to house them. I was intending to bring my pair home a week before the show to get them bathed and clean with enough time for their natural oils to come through before the show. And as for housing them whilst at home, we have an indoor run set up for our hatchlings that i was intending to use. Would you suggest that i cage them for a few hours to get them used to the enviroment within my home?

4. sourland

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Acclimating them to your presence and occasional caging during the day will help them become more comfortable with the turmoil of a show. I think that what you are planning to do will help them become comfortable with all of the attention that they will receive at the show.

1 person likes this.
  5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    [​IMG]

6. sourland

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    How did the show go?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by