1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Entering day 24 and no pipping, what should I do

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by NoRoosAllowed, Jan 20, 2014.

1. NoRoosAllowed

NoRoosAllowed New Egg

Aug 10, 2013
    I have 2 eggs that are now entering day 24. I candled them yesterday and there is still an intact air sac, red veins and slight movement, but no pipping. What should I do? I have a friend who suggested I pip the eggs myself, but I'm afraid they will dry out inside there if I do. Any suggestions?

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    [​IMG]

What was your incubation temperature? Day 24 is pushing it a bit, but I've had chicks hatch on days 24 and 25, even under a broody hen. Sometimes they are just a bit slow, but the most common cause is a slightly too low incubation temperature. Since you've seen movement I'd say give them another day or 2 and let them hatch when they're ready.

3. NoRoosAllowed

NoRoosAllowed New Egg

Aug 10, 2013
    Well, this is my first ever hatch and I have done just about everything wrong. I had the incubator under a window and when it got really cold outside the temp in there started going up and down like a roller coaster. So it's been too low a few times, but my big concern is that it's gotten way too high a few times. And yet all the embryos seem to be ok when I checked them yesterday. I had one double yolker that had two embryos that died, but that may just be because they are hard to hatch anyway. I also had 2 that had hair line cracks and the embryos died after about 5 days gestation, and another that had formed to about day 3 and died, other than that I have 23 other eggs that are still viable. So why haven't these two hatched?
    I will wait another 2 days and let you know what happens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by