Entering lockdown!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by karmlacres, Mar 15, 2011.

1. karmlacres

karmlacres Songster

Oct 3, 2010
    Probably the best idea was planning an overnight at the time all the action should happen. It will keep me and the kids from wanting to get our hands on the little fuzzy butts! We may set up a webcam to view the action from afar. We'll see how that works out for us.

Of 12 eggs, 8 are in lockdown. Well, the start of lockdown. I'm watching humidity and temps.

Sadly, 3 of my 4-5 (I forget now what I started with!) French Black Copper Marans did not make it. At least 2 of them were very porous. I broke them open with my 3 yr old (she likes blood and gore and wanted to see - plus I knew there was nothing to see in these). One seemed like the yolk was broken, so it had no chance. 1 I definitely broke the yolk while opening. The 3rd egg was questionable as to whether I broke it or not. But these three showed absolutely no signs of chicky formation [​IMG] I'm bummed because this was one breed that I wanted very much. <sigh>

In lockdown, I now have 1 BLRW, 1 SO, and the rest are Marans, mostly Blue Copper.

Ok, so if you're keeping track, there is still one "dud" not mentioned. This one I have a picture of. Something went wrong and it died. I don't know at what point in time or why exactly. There was gore in this one. This last one was one of the BLRW. While candling it this last time, I could see a dark blob, lots of liquid, some veining. When I moved it to one side and I noticed it was very porous. Rather than being porous all over like the FBCM, it was more porous on one end.

2. Lroach711

Lroach711 Songster

Mar 17, 2010
    Pickens, SC
    Good luck [​IMG] I've got 7 that went in lockdown today!

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Yes. goodluck to you! I've got 13 eggs that I put into lockdown today as well......

4. karmlacres

karmlacres Songster

Oct 3, 2010
    Good luck Lroach and chicmom!

5. StormyMoon

StormyMoon Songster

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    Good luck everyone!

I have 42 going in lock down at 4 PM today I am not going to candle, there are no smells so far so we will see what happens.

6. lorrir

lorrir Songster

Jun 19, 2009
    Upstate SC
    I have a staggered hatch going, 15 japanese bantams due today, heard chirping and saw movement this morning, 5 silver phoenix due tomorrow and 9 RIR due on friday. The first time I've done a staggered hatch so we will see how it goes.

7. karmlacres

karmlacres Songster

Oct 3, 2010
    Good luck Stormymoon and lorrir! There's going to be many new fuzzy butt pictures to share very soon!

8. wistlindixie

wistlindixie Songster

Feb 27, 2011
    Good luck! [​IMG]

9. StormyMoon

StormyMoon Songster

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    I hope so I have 42 in there right now , i look forward to seeing your pictures [​IMG]

10. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Keep in touch and keep us posted! So much more fun when you have someone to share the excitement with.......[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: