Entering my Buff Orpington into the fair... does she have a chance?

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the SOP' started by AtlantisPeeps, Sep 15, 2014.

1. AtlantisPeeps

AtlantisPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    US
    I'm going to enter my buff Orpington into the pullet class. I think her shape is beautiful, but I want more professional opinions. What do you all think? Could she win ?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. N F C

N F C Happy T-Day! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    I'm certainly no expert but I'd say that's a beautiful bird. Good luck and let us know how you do!

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    If you're going to a county fair, this bird should do okay. But, she does have some faults that will probably prevent her from winning a lot.

• Size. She looks to be a hatchery quality Buff Orpington. True Orpingtons bred to the American Poultry Association Standard of Perfection are massive birds. She doesn't have the width or depth of a true show quality Orpington. I especially notice that the depth of her head is lacking.
    • Condition. I notice that she's missing her main tail feathers, which is making her appear tailess. Depending on when the county fair is, this could be resolved by then.
    • Color. Color isn't too bad, but some Orpingtons have even darker, more rich buff coloring.

In conclusion, if you're showing at a county fair, she's fine. But, if you were to take her to a larger poultry show or show her against some competition from purebred, show-quality birds, she wouldn't do very well.

No matter how she places, remember to have fun at the show! Good luck!

4. AtlantisPeeps

AtlantisPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    US
    Thank you for your input! I have actually decided to enter her in next years county fair. She is only about 14 weeks, so I think she should be still filling out. As for her tail feathers, yeah. My nasty hens picked them out :p

5. poltroon

poltroon Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2008
    California (North Coast)
    14 weeks is pretty young for a show. 5 months is about as young as you'd want to go, and 6 months + is better. Enjoy your bird, and good luck at the fair next year.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by