Entertaining chickens in the run- Wood chips and mold?

Somyis

Songster
Dec 30, 2021
Hey :) So we have a run that's completely covered with a few inches of sand, because we live in an area that rains a lot (Southeast TX) We also decided to cover most of it with a sun shade sail instead of tarp, because it also gets very hot and I'm told the breathability/air flow is a little cooler for them vs tarp (we do have a small tarp area though for when they want to come out while its raining!)

So anyhoo there's nothing really to forage and scratch in there, and I can see they're a bit bored (other than their dust bath and perches) I was recommended putting some woodchips in there, but won't it mold? Especially if it gets rained on a lot? :confused:

Do y'all have any suggestions or knowledge on what's best here? I really appreciate it

Mulch is fantastic for runs. They will scratch and turn it. They will get all the bugs and things out of it. They will have a blast. It won’t mold. It will break down and your run will slowly turn to dirt instead of sand though. Which could be a good thing. I’ve known some people that mulched their run and every year they would clean it out, let it sit for a year, then use it in their garden.

Back
Top Bottom