Entertaining Chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ChickenGirl18, Nov 3, 2014.

1. ChickenGirl18

ChickenGirl18 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2014
    Hey guys just wanted to get some ideas on how you guys keep your flock happy. Let me know below!

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Anything that involves scratching and eating works. Flock blocks to peck on. Treat balls filled with hen treats - they kick it around and goodies come out. I hang a wire treat ball with greens to peck - but doesn't last but a few minutes. I also hand a hen suet and it takes my 6 all day to destroy it. Sand baths. Bugs, dried mealy worms. And human activity in and around the coop/run. Compost areas, piles of leaves. Mine are raised on sand and just a simple new pile of sand becomes a focus of scratch and search entertainment.

The lists of what folks do is exhausting…..but a good read. There are so many past threads with great ideas.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=entertaining+chickens

3. ChickenGirl18

ChickenGirl18 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2014
    Ok Great! Thanks sunflour!

4. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    You are quite welcome. Hope you find ideas you like.

5. TropBeaucoup

TropBeaucoup Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2014
    I have 2 brabanters that are approximately 5 weeks old. They are still in a bin with supplemental heat. But I am worried they might be getting bored. Any suggestions for this stage until they are ready to be moved to the coop?

I am just not sure if they would be OK going outside for a bit already. It between 0 - 12 celcius right now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by