entertainment

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lionpearl10, Jan 9, 2009.

1. lionpearl10

lionpearl10 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2008
    I know this might sound crazy to some but do any of you do something for the chickens over the long cold winter so they don't get into pecking each other or something. Something to entertain them when they are stuck in the coop on the stormy or real cold days? I seem to have one that starts pecking at the others when we have storms and they are stuck in the coop. Thanks for any hints.

2. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Mine are always fine.. and i leave them in the" coop" 24/7 besides when i get them out and hold them.. I have one pair of OEGBs in every 4 feet wide (5 feet tall) pens.. and never have any problem with it.. I just wrap the tarp around they're pens to keep the cold winter winds off and leave them on grass 24/7 their happy as can be.. Pecking feathers isn't always boredom even though it can be a cause.. Could be protein lack, (also heard of calcium but not sure on that) Could also be confined area (too many in a pen.. pecking is usually at night when they're crowded together)

3. summerb76

summerb76 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Lake Como, Florida
    Maybe throw a big pile of hay in there with them to play with or maybr put 1/2 of a big pumpkin in there to peck at. I have also strung up corn cobs (after we ate the corn off) all over the coop/run areas and they go nuts pecking at them.

4. maine chicks

maine chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    maine
    get the kids a big bag of crickets-spread them around the coop and there will be lots of action. works best if there are a few places for the crickets to hide so the chicks have to works a little for their fun. Pumpkins or old squash, corn cobs, or golf balls have all provided some entertainment.

5. ronshoney

ronshoney Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    Algonac, Michigan
    i give mine watermelon, pumpkins, and winter squash to peck at and they are always happy when we are bringing a new load of hay out to the goats and we throw some to them too! Squash I crack in half and they go to town. I had surplus acorn and spaghetti squash so we just put it in the garage and haven't run out yet but will soon. They finished the last of the pumpkins a few weeks ago, but if you can grow a garden plant extra of everything. The only things i have found they don't care for as much are peppers and eggplant. Although we were shocked to find 1/2 of a jalapeno pepper in one of the nest boxes and we never feed them those ........ so she must have carried it from the garden to the coop.

6. lionpearl10

lionpearl10 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2008
    Hi, thanks for all the hints. I tried cabbage but they didn't like it. I heard the protein thing also about the pecking, I try to give them leftover meat once in a while. They do eat it. I also have the calcium out there and had run out. I will just keep trying. They are funny though . They come charging at you when they see you have a treat and if you don't put it down fast enough they knock it out of my hand. lol. They can go out during the day but it is all of 16 here right now and heard we are going to have a string of below normal temps. I did put a little space heater in there with wire wrapped around it and put it on when the nights are esp. cold. The lowest setting makes it a toasty 38 degrees. Before that I had their combs being frostbit and my handsome roo has a frostbit area now. They also have plenty of room.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by