Enticing ducks/geese to go into their houses at night

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Linds982, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Linds982

Linds982 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2013
    Hi,
    I have 6 Muscovy ducks and 1 goose. They have a pond, and I have 2 houses that I can close at night for them. The ducks like to roost most nights or else stay in the shallow water, but we are hearing of coyotes and such in the area-and I really want to make it routine that they all go up at night. Do you guys think some special treat would be the most likely way to bribe them into their house? They are tame, but just will not quite let me catch them. Any special treats that Muscovies and a goose would not be able to resist? They snub their noses at cat food and lettuce. Meal worms are next.

2. Jmpeters

Jmpeters Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2012
    central il
    Never had a bird that didnt love mealworms. My duck love peas as well. When I was training my birds to come in, id ring a dinner bell then give them treats. I start when theyre bout a month old when they go in the big brooder. Id ring the bell them give them treats. Then when id let them out and it was starting to get dark id ring the bell and theyd come running. Now I dont need the bell, they just pen themselves at dusk.

3. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    My scovie would kill you for romaine. That said all mine return to the barn area at night(dusk) sometimes if the weather is nice i have to herd them in .. i teach everyone to herd.. and usually adults teach babes... i keep all feed, water and pools in the area by the barn that brings 'em in too.

If your concerned about 'yotes i'd almost be tempted to add an additional water source by your housing for a bit.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  4. Linds982

Jul 18, 2013
    So frustrated! I tried mealworms and romaine tonight. Just not interested. I am certain that if I can get them into a routine, it could eventually matter less if my treats are especially exciting. But I was not really able to get them interested tonight. I even bought a bell today, thanks Jmpeters. They are less than 1 year old, so maybe I can train them. I hope so, all of these spring noises are making me fearful for them. I think I'll try peas next. Thanks for writing!!

5. Jmpeters

Jmpeters Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2012
    central il
    Got you some picky birds. Lol. My 4 ducks act like peas are crack. They scarf down a bag of frozen peas (thawed) in 5 seconds flat. Never had muscovys but its gotta do the trick. Good luck! I have a friend I told about the bell and he tried a whistle and that worked for him too.

6. Linds982

Jul 18, 2013
    Ok thank you. Thawed green peas? Lol it has to work!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by