entire flock diving in unison

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duckopedia, Aug 18, 2011.

1. duckopedia

duckopedia Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2011
    today we saw all our mallard ducks diving in unison in the corner of our pond, has any one seen this. by the way they did not appear to be feeding.

2. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:They might just be playing But more likely is that someone spotted something flying over and they all DUCKED! on dry land they would try to get under trees or bushes. If they can fly they won't take to the air to avoid a hawk etc.

3. duckopedia

duckopedia Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2011
    They were doing it for ten minutes

4. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    My muscovy all dive.. it's pretty funny to see. Even the youngest ones do. It's only a kiddy pool so there not going after food either.

5. bayyjayy

bayyjayy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    Utah
    I saw my six babies one time ALL going down together within seconds of each other. One of my favorite things about ducks....this and watching them pop up within seconds of each other. I LOVE when they do this. I can always hear the splashing when this happens and go running to watch. I LOVE it when only one or two are doing it, but when they are all doing it....priceless entertainment.

6. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Ducks really do play and they are full of the joy of life.

7. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Quote:oh yes the splashing is so loud..they sound like a group of kids messing about in a pool! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by